Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net> on 2009/06/02 23:29:40 UTC

LET'S KILL THIS THREAD (Was: whitelists (was Re: Barracuda Blacklist)

ANTICOM-STINGER a écrit :
> On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 12:16 -0600, J.D. Falk wrote:
>> Rob McEwen wrote:
>>
>>> Additionally, I'd like to ask, other than being a superb cash-generating
>>> machine, what good is a whitelist built upon pay-to-enter and NOT based
>>> on editorial decisions made by non-biased e-mail administrators?
>> Those two aren't necessarily exclusive.  The standards for inclusion in a
>> whitelist can (and in many cases do) include the same performance metrics
>> that help e-mail administrators stay non-biased, such as user complaint
>> rate, spamtrap hits, and so forth.
>>
>> (I don't know whether Barracuda's whitelist includes those metrics.)
>>
>> The additional value to admins is that they don't have to keep watch over
>> the whitelisted IPs -- the whitelist operator handles that.  The fees cover
>> that monitoring, and consulting on improving practices where necessary.
>>
>> And, of course, if the whitelist operator is lying or slow or otherwise not
>> living up to expectations, the admin simply stops using that whitelist.
>> Lists that nobody uses don't get much business, so there's a direct
>> incentive for the whitelist operator to keep their list squeaky-clean.
>
> The Barracuda white list is an 'exclusive' club and I suspect money has
> changed hands. It includes eBay, Amazon, Microsoft etc along with some
> very big 'marketing' companies that Micheal Perone (former alleged
> spammer now part of Barracuda) may have some involvement in.
>
> For the ordinary 'mongs' there is email.reg which is a 'pay to spam'
> service :-)
>
> I guess everyone knows that the Barracuda is basically SpamAssasin on a
> cheap Linux box. It's full of great open source software glued together
> with some very flaky scripts. I cannot believe people pay the money they
> do for it. I don't think Barracuda can believe it either.

I personally think this is non sense, but let's admit this is my
personal opinion and that it would take us too far to debate this. so
let's please kill this thread.

PS. I am not affiliated with Barracuda, nor with anything affiliated
with them. I do use their list in SA and I subscribed for access to
their list, and that's all.