Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Wallace Jackson <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/06 22:52:31 UTC

Ubuntu Linux 17 PPA Repository Request for Apache NetBeans (detail)

I have PPA set-up for GIMP Stable (2.8.22) and GIMP Dev (2.9.6 currently)
as well as Inkscape, Audacity, Java and others... Obviously the Dev updates
more frequently than the Stable! The same setup would be optimal for
NetBeans, but initially it would be the ppa:apacheprojects/netbeans-dev and
then when NB9 is downloadable next to Java 9 (currently this is 8.2 next to
Java 9 on http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
which
may confuse some) a ppa:apacheprojects/netbeans-stable would be added. Each
would be updated on Apache's end as needed; -dev frequently and -stable
infrequently. The user can make the report-bugs/don't-report-bugs call by
simply implementing one of the PPAs! Perfect system, really... Ubuntu is
already reaching a 15% market share, and apps are purported to run 300%
faster under this OS! I switched my Android Studio 3 development over (on
an Intel i7) and it is 30X faster overall... Black Magic Design has ported
Fusion 9 and DaVinci resolve 14 for the same reason. Certain software
requires hyper-optimized OSes, and new media packages and coding packages
fit that bill... The main reason for this request is the elimination of all
but the initial SUDO PPA install/update requests, versus quite a lot of
end-user work to install and update via other OSes... ;) Thanks for
considering this request! Walls. PS: Ubuntu LTS 17.04 is amazing, uses only
250-350MB and has already eliminated swap due to 16GB DDR4 chips becoming
the affordable sweet-spot in systems design (thanks to AMD Ryzen). I have
all 8GB of my IBM ThinkCentre i7 to use for Android Studio 3.0. I hear
Ubuntu LTS 17.10 is even better. If you have not been packaging for Ubuntu
LTS I would add this as soon as possible, as it has much of the OS
momentum. WJ (copied from users@ forum)