Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/19 04:05:47 UTC

HttpComponents + Maven + Eclipse

Hello List,

Anybody else here using Eclipse for their development? I tried to
check out http-components' http-core module as an eclipse project. I
am using the maven2 plug-in for eclipse, and somehow even after I
enable the plug-in for the project, it is unable to get the
dependencies.

The console has the following:
<console>

3/18/06 7:27:14 PM MST: Reading /http-core/pom.xml
3/18/06 7:27:14 PM MST: Project build error POM
'org.apache.jakarta.httpcomponents:httpcomponents' not found in
repository: Unable to download the artifact from any repository

  org.apache.jakarta.httpcomponents:httpcomponents:pom:4.0-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

</console>

I am thinking this might be some pom.xml related issue, as other
simple maven projects are working fine. I am using maven plug-in
version 0.0.5 with Eclipse version 3.1.2.

Help or pointers would be appreciated.

TIA
Bindul

Re: HttpComponents + Maven + Eclipse

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
On 3/19/06, Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure why but it sounds like it was trying to access
> Http-Components from the Maven repo.  Clearly this will not work since
> no version has been released.

'mvn install' did the trick. It compiled and and installed the jar to
my local maven repository,

> > And the http-core dependency in http-async is coming without source
> > attachment. However, junit has source attachment. Something to change
> > in the pom.xml of http-core? (Please pardon my maven ignorance)
>
> My impression is that this is just requires installing the src jar
> generated from "mvn source:jar".

Yep, that did it. Thanks Mike. I was under the impression that 'mvn
install' would include source distribution as well.

Bindul

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Bindul Bhowmik wrote:
> Dropped the whole idea of using the m2 plugin. Rather went ahead with
> a bit more manual work [1]. Checked out the entire HttpComponents and
> ran 'mvn install' and the 'mvn -Declipse.downloadSources=true
> eclipse:eclipse' on http-core and http-async (Those are the only two
> modules with pom.xml at the moment). Then imported each module
> individually into Eclipse.
>
> Thanks for the pointer Oleg.
>
> By the way, when I set up http-async and maven is establishing the
> dependency on http-core I see a message on the console -
>
> <console>
> [INFO]
>        Sources for some artifacts are not available.
>        List of artifacts without a source archive:
>          o org.apache.jakarta.httpcomponents:http-core:jar:4.0-SNAPSHOT
> </console>
>
> And the http-core dependency in http-async is coming without source
> attachment. However, junit has source attachment. Something to change
> in the pom.xml of http-core? (Please pardon my maven ignorance)

I wish I could tell. I am still trying to get a handle of Maven2 myself.

Oleg

Re: HttpComponents + Maven + Eclipse

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
On 3/19/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 20:05 -0700, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:
> > Hello List,
> >
> > Anybody else here using Eclipse for their development?
>
> I am. I am not using the maven2 plug-in, though. I am not a very big fan
> of Maven in general

Me neither :-)

> >  I tried to
> > check out http-components' http-core module as an eclipse project. I
> > am using the maven2 plug-in for eclipse, and somehow even after I
> > enable the plug-in for the project, it is unable to get the
> > dependencies.
> >
> > The console has the following:
> > <console>
> >
> > 3/18/06 7:27:14 PM MST: Reading /http-core/pom.xml
> > 3/18/06 7:27:14 PM MST: Project build error POM
> > 'org.apache.jakarta.httpcomponents:httpcomponents' not found in
> > repository: Unable to download the artifact from any repository
> >
> >   org.apache.jakarta.httpcomponents:httpcomponents:pom:4.0-SNAPSHOT
> >
> > from the specified remote repositories:
> >   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
> >
> > </console>
> >

> Can it be the plug-in is unable to find the global HttpComponents
> pom.xml? I suspect one needs to check out the entire httpcomponents
> directory off the SVN trunk using command line svn client and manually
> set up individual modules in Eclipse.

Dropped the whole idea of using the m2 plugin. Rather went ahead with
a bit more manual work [1]. Checked out the entire HttpComponents and
ran 'mvn install' and the 'mvn -Declipse.downloadSources=true
eclipse:eclipse' on http-core and http-async (Those are the only two
modules with pom.xml at the moment). Then imported each module
individually into Eclipse.

Thanks for the pointer Oleg.

By the way, when I set up http-async and maven is establishing the
dependency on http-core I see a message on the console -

<console>
[INFO]
       Sources for some artifacts are not available.
       List of artifacts without a source archive:

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ide-eclipse.html

Re: HttpComponents + Maven + Eclipse

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.