Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/16 22:16:06 UTC

Old, old docs

We have some OLD documentation on the Derby site.

The original 10.0 documentation, is still present:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/

The 10.0 docs describe software that is, what, close
to 15 years old now?

And I still see lots of external sites referring to the 10.8
documentation, which is now 7 years old.

Given that the ancient versions of Java with which
these ancient versions of Derby worked are now
long-since unavailable, I wonder if it's possible for
us to start talking about retiring the ancient documentation?

thanks,

bryan

Re: Old, old docs

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com>.
A little spring-cleaning would be a good idea. I think it should be safe
to remove old docs from the web site. We would want to tell people that
they can always get older documentation from the branches and from the
bin distributions.

What is old, though? Here are some definitions:

* Any release compiled at 1.4 byte code level or below. That would mean
that we would keep 10.11 upward.

* Any release which contains advice which we now regret. For me, that
would include the old security documentation which was hard to navigate
and/or recommended the unsafe BUILTIN authentication technique. That
would also mean that we would keep 10.11 upward, since 10.11 is the
release which introduced a separate security guide.

* Any release which is no longer available on the mirrors. That would
mean we would keep 10.13 upward. Since we will remove 10.13 from the
mirrors when we publish 10.15, this would mean 10.14 upward.

* Any release family more than N versions before the current release family.

* Only keep the docs from the current release and the trunk docs.

Thanks for starting this conversation,
-Rick