Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org> on 2004/02/24 21:27:20 UTC

Apache::Session maintainership

I've released Apache::Session 1.6, which I had planned for New Year's
Day.  Truly, it takes only a few minutes or at most a few hours to
apply, test, and release improvements and fixes.  However, I simply
don't develop for the web any more.  Therefore I've lost the itch that
Apache::Session used to scratch.  I don't even use it any more myself,
except in systems I developed years ago.

Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
Apache::Session to one or a group of you.  Proposals welcome.

Dave Rolsky: please desist from insulting me.

-jwb

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:

> Whatever Jeffery wants. I've not been so presumptuous to think that he
> likes the idea of me working on his code at all, thus the generics.

Well, he did say he'd "be happy and grateful to hand off the
maintainership of Apache::Session to one or a group of you".

> I really hate SourceForge anyway, from experience. If that's what folks
> want, and Jeffery is okay with me (us, him, whoever) going ahead with
> it, then that is what will happen. I'm fine with conceeding that
> point.
>
> Basically, though, there should be one release manager. My
> interpretation of Enrico's post was that he's willing to work on the
> project, but not maintain it. Maybe I read too much into it.

Well, there's Savannah or whatever you like.  I was just suggesting that
both you and Enrico could have commit access.  Then you can do the
releases yourself.

-dave

/*=======================
House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by Casey West <ca...@geeknest.com>.
It was Wednesday, February 25, 2004 when Dave Rolsky took the soap box, saying:
: On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:
:
: > of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives
:
: Or maintainer_s_.  Why not set up an SF project for this?  Then you and
: Enrico can both do work on it.  There's no reason a Perl module needs one
: and only one maintainer.

Whatever Jeffery wants. I've not been so presumptuous to think that he
likes the idea of me working on his code at all, thus the generics.

I really hate SourceForge anyway, from experience. If that's what folks
want, and Jeffery is okay with me (us, him, whoever) going ahead with
it, then that is what will happen. I'm fine with conceeding that
point.

Basically, though, there should be one release manager. My
interpretation of Enrico's post was that he's willing to work on the
project, but not maintain it. Maybe I read too much into it.

  Casey West

--
Usenet is like Tetris for people who still remember how to read.
  -- Button from the Computer Museum, Boston, MA

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by Enrico Sorcinelli <e....@pisa.iol.it>.
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:29:20 -0800
"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@gghcwest.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 16:42, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:
> >
> > > of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives
> >
> > Or maintainer_s_.  Why not set up an SF project for this?  Then you and
> > Enrico can both do work on it.  There's no reason a Perl module needs one
> > and only one maintainer.
>
> SourceForget is truly terrible and I would not burden the users with the
> horror of having to use it.
>
> Casey's ideas are excellent and show certain forthought and taste.  I'm
> happy with Enrico's ideas also.  So here's what I'd like to do:
>
> Either or both of you, or anyone on this list, should send your patches
> for inclusion in the next release (1.7).  After any features are added
> and tests written for them, we'll make a new release.  If it goes well,
> I'll fiddle with CPAN to hand over maintainership to Casey, who could
> then add uploaders as required.

Hi Jeff,

it's fine to me.
Also, a CVS-like environment would be much appreciated, as suggested by Dave,
where we could have commit access

by

	- Enrico

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@gghcwest.com>.
On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 14:44, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > SourceForget is truly terrible and I would not burden the users with
> > the
> > horror of having to use it.
>
> We'd be happy to host a SCM repository for Apache::Session over at
> perl.org.  Either in CVS, like http://cvs.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/ or
> in Subversion next to DBI and the SDL module:
> http://svn.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/

I personally prefer arch because it doesn't need to be hosted by
anyone.  I can also do monotone.  But if everybody wants Subversion or
CVS, just remember to make me an account :)

Posted by Ask Bjørn Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.
On Feb 26, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> SourceForget is truly terrible and I would not burden the users with
> the
> horror of having to use it.

We'd be happy to host a SCM repository for Apache::Session over at
perl.org.  Either in CVS, like http://cvs.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/ or
in Subversion next to DBI and the SDL module:
http://svn.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/

  - ask

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@gghcwest.com>.

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.

Posted by Casey West <ca...@geeknest.com>.
It was Wednesday, February 25, 2004 when Enrico Sorcinelli took the soap box, saying:
: On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:14:23 -0500
: Casey West <ca...@geeknest.com> wrote:
:
: > It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
: > : Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
: > : Apache::Session to one or a group of you.  Proposals welcome.
: >
: > Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
: > willing to maintain it. I know your TODO says there isn't anything
: > left,
:
: Me too, I use A::S intensively and I'm interested to collaborate to the
: Apache::Session 'project'.

Excellent, thanks.

: I'd add:
:
:    - a sessions 'clean' object (for all datastore)
:    - the facility to customize (add) 'sessions' tabls fields
:    - a web wrapper (glue) code: in the fact i've rarely seen A::S utilization
:      out of the web context

I tried to keep my new feature ideas out of the list. But you definitely
hit some of mine here too.

I know there are a lot of feature requests, bug notices, and patches
that have come through this list over the years.

If you've got features or bugs to report I'd highly suggest that you
report them to the CPAN RT. That way they aren't lost. If you've had
some request in the past, consider re-submitting it. There will be a lot
of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives
and google searches looking for such things. Any help with avoiding that
would be appreciated.

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Apache-Session

  Casey West

--
Shooting yourself in the foot with BASIC (compiled)
You shoot yourself in the foot with a BB using a SCUD missile

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by Enrico Sorcinelli <e....@pisa.iol.it>.
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:14:23 -0500
Casey West <ca...@geeknest.com> wrote:

> It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
> : Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
> : Apache::Session to one or a group of you.  Proposals welcome.
>
> Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
> willing to maintain it. I know your TODO says there isn't anything
> left,

Me too, I use A::S intensively and I'm interested to collaborate to the
Apache::Session 'project'.

>this is what I'd propose, in no particular order.

I'd add:

   - a sessions 'clean' object (for all datastore)
   - the facility to customize (add) 'sessions' tabls fields
   - a web wrapper (glue) code: in the fact i've rarely seen A::S utilization
     out of the web context

by

	- Enrico

PS: Jeffrey, I think that Apache::Session is one of most used modules in a
mod_perl (and not only?) world: so if you cannot assure right maintenance,
you've done the better thing by asking for new maintainers. Thanks! :-)

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Casey West wrote:
> It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
> : Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
> : Apache::Session to one or a group of you.  Proposals welcome.
>
> Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
> willing to maintain it.

you do good work casey, and it would be great to see you involved with our
little corner of perl :)

--Geoff

Re: Apache::Session maintainership

Posted by Casey West <ca...@geeknest.com>.
It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
: Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
: Apache::Session to one or a group of you.  Proposals welcome.

Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
willing to maintain it. I know your TODO says there isn't anything
left, this is what I'd propose, in no particular order.

  - Document the API Apache::Session expects you to implement for new
    stores, lockers, serializers, and generators.
  - Make interfaces more abstract so using a tied hash is not the only
    easily accessible option.
  - Update the test suite to use the Test::* modules.
  - Review and expand test coverage as much as possible (anybody have
    a spare Sybase or Oracle?).
  - Address anything at
    http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Apache-Session
  - Address anything in http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Apache-Session
    appropriately.
  - Review and apply suggestions and patches from contributors.
  - Form a secret cabal to get the cpanrating up to 4.5 stars.
  - Work with any testing monkeys that the Phalanx project brings me,
    http://qa.perl.org/phalanx/distros.html
  - Always precede a release with as many dev releases as necessary
    (is this getting too detailed?).
  - Generally treat the distribution with great care because it is
    widely used.

In any case, I'm interested. I know I listed a lot here, but that's
because I listed as much as I could think of. Baby steps are required.

  Casey West

--
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing,
even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about