Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Anthony Enrione <an...@andrearussu.com> on 2007/05/09 13:44:02 UTC

State of workflow in Ofbiz.

Hi all,

We are using Ofbiz to build an ecommerce site and i am currently
evaluating workflow engines. I have seen that Ofbiz has it's own
workflow engine which (from the source code) looks fairly complete.
There is also support for the Ehydra Workflow engine. I have some
questions regarding the two:

What is the state of the internal workflow engine in Ofbiz? Is it fully
functional? If not what areas need to be worked on?
Why was Ehydra chosen to replace the existing Workflow engine in Ofbiz?
How well does it integrate with Ofbiz?
Does anybody have any experience of using either of the two systems?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Anthony.

Re: State of workflow in Ofbiz.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>
> This is really interesting...
> and the license of OSWorkflow is not problematic as the one of Shark.
>
> http://www.opensymphony.com/osworkflow/license.action
>
> Jacopo

That's an interesting point, indeed !

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
This is really interesting...

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Anthony,

About OFBiz code in OSWorfkow i found this by chance :
http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2002-April/001124.html

Jacques

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Anthony,

Posted by Shi Yusen <sh...@langhua.cn>.
> We did have a look at jbpm but it's persistance is intricately tied to
> Hibernate so would not be a good fit. It also has it's own scheduler as well.
I see.

So I guess the hot deploy is not a key requirement to you.

Shi Yusen/Beijing Langhua Ltd.

Re: State of workflow in Ofbiz.

Posted by Aivaras Liutvinas <Ai...@patikimi.lt>.
I think better approach would be Apache ode project.

On May 21, 2007, at 1:29 PM, Anthony Enrione wrote:

> Hi Shi,
>
> We did have a look at jbpm but it's persistance is intricately tied
> to Hibernate so would not be a good fit. It also has it's own
> scheduler as well.
>
> Anthony.
>
> Shi Yusen wrote:
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> I recommend jbpm. Please do think about it.
>>
>> Shi Yusen/Beijing Langhua Ltd.
>>

>> 在 2007-05-18五的 11:05 +0100,Anthony Enrione写道:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> When we have integrated it, i will write up a document with some
>>> examples so that you can take a look at what it offers. We have
>>> refactored the OSWorkflow component quite a bit as well to make
>>> it simpler to use.
>>>
>>> Anthony.

Pagarbiai,
Aivaras Liutvinas
UAB "Patikimi Sprendimai"
Akademijos g. 2, Vilnius
IT inžinierius
Tel.: +37061213423
Aivaras.Liutvinas@patikimi.lt

Re: State of workflow in Ofbiz.

Posted by Anthony Enrione <an...@andrearussu.com>.
Hi Shi,

Posted by Shi Yusen <sh...@langhua.cn>.
Hi Anthony,

Posted by Anthony Enrione <an...@andrearussu.com>.
Hi All,

Re: REMOVE ME

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Have you tried the unsubscribe email listed on the mailing list info page:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ofbiz-dev/

-David

REMOVE ME

Posted by PhantomsHorridC <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for feedback David,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
For anyone looking into this it might be helpful to keep in mind that OSWorkflow is VERY different from the ECA rules in OFBiz and is also very different (rather less different though) from a WfMC style workflow engine which includes both Shark and the old OFBiz Workflow Engine.

For anyone wondering how this affects things in the future in OFBiz, it will depend totally on where people find it to be helpful. For many things, even very custom things, that we've done we have found that a workflow engine just doesn't end up helping a whole lot when you are doing custom application that require special management of automated and manual work. You end up having to create custom screens and map everything in the workflow to other entities in the data model anyway, and it's usually less code and work initially and over time, and WAY more flexible, to just do that with the other tools in OFBiz rather than having a centralized work management piece. There are of course exceptions to this, but in general the changes that are often needed over time don't always match up well with the changes that a tool like this will facilitate. In short, having tried many of these tools for similar problems I haven't seen a huge win with a workflow engine yet.

-David

De : "Anthony Enrione" <an...@andrearussu.com>

Posted by Anthony Enrione <an...@andrearussu.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Anthony,

De : "Anthony Enrione" <an...@andrearussu.com>

Posted by Anthony Enrione <an...@andrearussu.com>.
Jacques,

De : "Anthony Enrione" <an...@andrearussu.com>

Posted by Amine AZZI <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am not an expert, but as far as I know, Enhydra Workflow engine was built
on top of Ofbiz workflow engine. But, since Ofbiz is a wide project the
workflow didn't get enough attention. Meanwhile Enhydra workflow has grown
to a complete workflow engine more elaborate than the Ofbiz one.
Ofbiz maintainers, chose to migrate to Shark since it has the same
foundation as the Ofbiz one and is more complete.

I hope I could give you an insight of what you sought.

Regards.
Amine.