Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2013/03/08 15:56:43 UTC

Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Having 2 build systems is a waste of time and a source of confusion. We
introduced the cmake build with the intent that it would replace the automake
system, I think the time has come to say farewell to automake. The cmake system
is ready: it covers the same ground as automake and more (esp. windows), and it
is actively and successfully used by many developers.

I propose that once we have branched for the 0.22 release, we delete the
automake build system. That will give us plenty of time to find and fix any
issues with the cmake system before the next release. I'm not aware of any major
deficiencies in the cmake system, minor discrepancies will be quickly found and
fixed once everyone has switched. I volunteer to help resolve issues that come up.

Are there any strong opinions out there for or against? Anyone know of specific
issues that need to be addressed in cmake?

Cheers,
Alan.

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I just added a little more detail to hopefully reduce the number of
questions that need to get asked repeatedly :)

Robbie

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

I'm keeping https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4640 open to track any

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I'd definitely agree with that.

This is the sort of thing that should be shouted from the rooftops to
give everyone fair warning and to minimise the likelihood of "I didn't
notice".

Having a deprecation echo along with echoing "please do try cmake
instead and let us know if it doesn't work" would be good.

Carrot and stick and all that!!!

Frase.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 15 March 2013 16:14, Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> It would by me :-) and I guess by you given a previous post you made about
> automake finally working for you too.
>
> I rather suspect we might be the guinea pigs :-D

Indeed - though I would also note that the Jenkins CI tests run on
Ubuntu too and we have those building and testing the C++ Broker
(using automake right now)... would be a shame to break the CI builds
too.

What I think the project needs is a clear statement on the platforms
the build is expected to work on... so that if it doesn't we as the
Qpid project are committed to fixing it.

> I did hear from a colleague of mine that cmake didn't work on a fairly old
> RH version he had to use, I suggested that he post exactly what he's been
> seeing.
>
> My guess is that the "user" community might be wider and more disparate than
> the "dev" community whom I guess have a lot of RedHat blood, so hopefully
> it'll either "just work" or there'll be an avalanche of bug reports PDQ.
>
> Frase

-- Rob

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 03/15/2013 10:35 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Its quicker for me to reply to this than your other mail, so...
>
> I think the reason people dont want to enable the hard-fail at this point is
> that its been almost 4 years since the Cmake build was added and while we said
> at the time we would deprecate Automake builds, we never have...people will not
> expect it to fail as we gave no recent warning it would.
>
> If we at least make an attempt to tell them now [4 months, 1 release] in advance
> that we are going to do that, its much harder to complain about the abrupt
> failure of automated builds etc etc.
>
> So basically, being friendly is the main reason not to break builds immediately.

I've been swayed. I will not deploy the fiendish plan. Will commit updated docs
and a passive message from configure shortly.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
+1 Andrew's proposed schedule and Alan's fiendish scheme.

> On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 14:24 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> > On 03/11/2013 01:24 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> > > I agree with this approach, but I suggest that we prioritise
> > > getting the
> > > cmake build instructions into The 0.22 Readme, and suggest in the
> > > release notes that people prefer to use cmake to build rather
> > > than
> > > autotools. That way we'll get a flood of bug reports in the 0.22
> > > time
> > > frame and fix them for 0.24 when we get serious!
> > >

> > Just to be clear: do you agree with having configure fail with a
> > deprecation
> > warning unless --use-deprecated=yes? We do want to update the doc &
> > release
> > notes but those are easily missed by people who are already used to
> > building
> > Qpid. A build failure is hard to miss.
>
> Sorry not to be clear enough.
>
> Before and for the 0.22 release (the one that just went into alpha)
> We
> should make sure we get the README and unix build instructions up to
> date and telling people how to use cmake and elevating it to the
> preferred method in the README (leave the autotools instructions in
> at
> the bottom and note them as deprecated - but for 0.22 only in these
> docs)
>
> Then for 0.24, (ie on trunk as soon as we release 0.22) we carry out
> your fiendish scheme of making the autotools configure fail with a
> warning etc.
>
> Then for 0.26 We actually remove autotools completely.
>
> The idea here is to get people building 0.22 with cmake by making it
> the
> preferred instruction in the README/INSTALL doc and reporting bugs to
> us, but to still "allow" them and support them building with
> autotools
> if it fails badly for them for some reason.
>
> The corollary is that failing to build with cmake won't be a blocker
> for
> 0.22, but it will start to be a blocker from 0.24 onwards.
>
> Andrew

-K

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 03/08/2013 01:07 PM, Cliff Jansen wrote:
> Not that this speaks directly to the issue of instant deletion versus
> a more dignified old-folks home retirement, but I would point out that
> CMake is the sole build mechanism for AMQP 1.0 support in C/C++.  You
> can't avoid it going forward for at least part of your build.
>
> Also since a lot of the test infrastructure is tied to the build
> system,  there will be an awful lot of holes showing up fast in the
> automake side.
>
> Finally, the effort to allow the automake side to continue to build
> (if only to a limping state) may consist of cruel and unusual
> punishment for an unlucky developer who is trying to add useful new
> features (async store perchance?).

Fraser makes a fail point about the deprecation not being obvious since the
instructions etc. still say to use automake.

Here's a softer proposal: we fix configure to fail by default and print a
deprecation message, then add an option
--you-really-should-use-clearmake-but-ok-if-you-insist=yes for those who want to
continue with automake. We fix the instructions to direct people to clearmake,
we keep automake working for this release, but ignore it after that. We can
remove it completely at the next release.

Does that seem reasonable?

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Not that this speaks directly to the issue of instant deletion versus
a more dignified old-folks home retirement, but I would point out that
CMake is the sole build mechanism for AMQP 1.0 support in C/C++.  You
can't avoid it going forward for at least part of your build.

Also since a lot of the test infrastructure is tied to the build
system,  there will be an awful lot of holes showing up fast in the
automake side.

Finally, the effort to allow the automake side to continue to build
(if only to a limping state) may consist of cruel and unusual
punishment for an unlucky developer who is trying to add useful new
features (async store perchance?).

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Fraser,

Do you have an alternative that works on Windows?

> for all of it's pain automake is something of a defacto standard for a ton of
> projects.
>
> Re "Anyone know of specific issues that need to be addressed in cmake?"
> yeah, I don't have cmake installed :-D sorry. I'm just messing.
>
> Seriously though I've just reached a point with 0.20 where I didn't have to
> hack around with things to get Qpid to compile on my Ubuntu box, so if I'm
> honest I'm a little disinclined to change something that finally works to have
> things potentially break more again.
>
> If there are strong feelings that agree with your view to move to cmake can I
> suggest that deprecation rather than removal of automake is announced. I
> think just deleting it from 0.22 is a bit draconian and I think we should have a
> couple of releases at least where both exist but one is marked deprecated so
> that users get a chance to flag up where things break (plenty of users only
> work off official releases - imagine their surprise if they are forced to use
> cmake and either they don't have cmake installed or the cmake breaks for
> them).

The automake build has been deprecated for a number of years now, IIRC.

> I'm clearly biased 'cause I haven't used cmake, but I'm very anti just deleting
> the automake build without a period of it being properly deprecated.
>
> All that said I do have sympathy with the view that having two build systems
> is probably not ideal.
>
> Oh and to follow on a thread that was started a little while back by Gordon I
> *really* think that this proposal should be flagged up on the qpid users
> mailing list too!!

Decent point, yes. But let's clear the devs first since they will be the main bearers of any burden.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 09:24 +0000, Fraser Adams wrote:
> I'm surprised that you are surprised. I'd have thought that the place
> most people first look for Qpid downloads is:
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/download.html
>
> and that only actually mentions Fedora packages

Hmm, interesting, when I want to install something (on either fedora or
ubuntu/debian) the first thing I'd do would be apt-get/yum. So obviously
I assume that everyone else is the same. I thought there were official
qpid packages now for ubuntu/debian if not then obviously you will end
up compiling from source and also it may not be as up to date as you;d
like too.

> Then there's the endless fun relating to boost dependencies - plenty of
> systems that use Qpid also have boost deployed for other reasons and
> it's not notorious for having great interoperability between different
> versions. I definitely know of people having to juggle things due to boost.

Yes, boost dependencies are a real pain and if our users actually
pointed out how much of a pain we could probably prioritise mitigating
this completely now.

For the Unix port of qpid we only need one boost library
(program_options) linked in and this is what forces the dependency
problems. Most of our us of boost is header file code only, and even a
large part of that is now in the standard library. This means that there
would be no installed dependency on boost, but further it would be
possible (although it's not clear how desirable) to fix a version of
boost and copy the needed header files into our tree and avoid any
external dependency. boost even has a utility to do this - bcp.

Andrew

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 03/11/2013 02:55 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:

>> So I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4640, which makes
>> deprecation clear and gives us at least 1 more release cycle to fix any issues
>> that crop up. Does that seem reasonable?
>>

> That seems fair, but I'll reiterate my broken record and suggest that now seems
> like a real good time to break the news to the user mailing list.
>
> Frase

Will do.

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
> So... the automake build works fine (which is a new experience on
> Ubuntu :-) )....
>
> So I'd personally not be keen to remove the automake build until the
> cmake build works on my platform :-)
>
> -- Rob

Ha ha, yeah that was the original source of my amusement/bemusement. I'd
noticed with 0.20 that Gordon and co had applied a patch that I'd raised
back in 0.12 to get it working on Ubuntu. There was a bit of irony
around the proposal to move to cmake when we'd just got the automake
build "just working" :-) though I can see why it might be a good move.

I think some of the recent proposals around pushing the "automake
*really* is deprecated please use cmake and report any issues" agenda
seem to be a good middle ground. I think a couple of releases to give
users a chance to shout seems fair warning.

I'm kind of glad I wasn't the only one seeing Ubuntu weirdness.

I'll have a play with cmake myself when I get a moment.

Frase

RE: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Looks like you just volunteered to fix the cmake build on Ubuntu ;-)

-Steve

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm...

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 03/11/2013 03:45 PM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
> So... apologies if I am missing them, but are there instructions as to
> how to build the C++ codebase using cmake?
>
> My experience with proton was that
>
> mkdir build ; cd build ; cmake .. ; make
>
> Would work... But that fails to compile with the C++ broker on my system.

That should work, how is it failing?

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 08/03/13 21:41, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> I'm genuinely surprised that a significant number of people are still
> compiling stuff from source themselves (except what they are actually
> working on themselves of course).
I'm surprised that you are surprised. I'd have thought that the place
most people first look for Qpid downloads is:

http://qpid.apache.org/download.html

and that only actually mentions Fedora packages, unless I've missed
something elsewhere? I'm aware that Cajus Polmeir has been involved in
packaging for Ubuntu, but I've been reluctant to go down that path as
I'm not totally sure where the "official" packaging lives and Googling
"qpid 0.20 ubuntu" or even "qpid 0.18 ubuntu" doesn't yield obvious results.

Then there's the endless fun relating to boost dependencies - plenty of
systems that use Qpid also have boost deployed for other reasons and
it's not notorious for having great interoperability between different
versions. I definitely know of people having to juggle things due to boost.

In an ideal world I'd absolutely agree with the view that people should
be able to just install Qpid and not care about the build stuff, but I
really don't think that we're there.

I may be wrong, but if I am at the very least the documentation needs to
be improved to point people at the packages for the main distros.

> . Anyway if it is anything the dev list is for discussion amongst the
> qpid developers themselves (rather than developers who use qpid) and
> surely they are the ons who "get to vote" about the build system.
That's a fair point, but all I'm arguing for is good communication. So
users don't get a vote - that's fine, but at least if they are able to
register any worries about the potential impact then the scale of the
short term support problem that might occur moving users who need to
build qpid themselves will be better known. If we break something that
users depend upon without communicating that fact then we risk pushing
them away.

>> export LDFLAGS=-L`dirname $(pwd)`/cpp/src/.libs
> But this is due to not installing in the default ubuntu location,
> nothing to do with the qpid build.
I'm not sure that I know what you mean there. I've certainly not changed
the build prefix so it's very much trying to install into *a* default
location. My Qpid build installs into /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/sbin,
/usr/local/bin

I'm certainly not trying to install anywhere unusual.

By "default ubuntu location" are you suggesting that if I put the source
into /usr/local/src I wouldn't have to do the LDFLAGS stuff? I guess
that the problem there is that I then have to sudo everything rather
than just the make install - possibly no big deal though

> If you wanted you could also go
> fiddle with /etc/ld.so.conf.d files
My point was that I didn't actually want to fiddle with anything LDFLAGS
let alone /etc/ld.so.conf.d files in an ideal world it would "just work"

I actually do like the idea of Qpid users being able to just install and
use, so I'm more than happy for that to be an aim, but for that to work
effectively I think that there needs to be engagement with the user
community to get people to try things out in their environments. I guess
that there are a lot more people in the user community than dev
community and as I mentioned previously I expect that there's a more
disparate set of environments.

> Actually running your own built executables is something that will just
> work with cmake - the .libs stuff which comes with libtool is much
> harder (BTW you can use libtool itself to get the paths correct somthing
> like libtool --mode=execute ...)
>
> Andrew

Thanks, I will have a go with cmake.

I'm not trying to be overly anti this (lack of familiarity and the fact
that I'd finally got a fairly clean build are my main two prejudices :-)
which perhaps isn't the strongest arguing position ;->). The main thrust
of my argument is not so much about whether to move to cmake, rather
it's about making sure that the communication channels are good and to
make sure that we don't inadvertently pull the rug out from under
people, hopefully that doesn't sound too unreasonable?

Best regards,
Frase

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 18:06 +0000, Fraser Adams wrote:
> > This seems sensible, although it does raise the question of what is
> > 'dev' about this list if the choice of build system is a 'user' issue!
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> That was pretty much the point that Gordon was making :-) There's kind
> of a blurry line between Qpid users and developers - certainly given
> that for many cases users actually have to build Qpid from source in
> order to use it. I guess that the user community is also likely to be
> far more disparate, possibly on a wider set of platforms and very
> possibly blessed :-) AKA restricted by "corporate IT standards". I know
> plenty of cases where people are stuck with ancient OS versions because
> of corporate support policies. So in many ways I'd argue that its the
> user community that this should be flagged up with foremost, because
> clearly you guys have been bubbling around with this thought process for
> a while, but it might come as a surprise to others.

I'm genuinely surprised that a significant number of people are still
compiling stuff from source themselves (except what they are actually
working on themselves of course). Given the decent package repositories
(of all different types) I hardly ever need to compile code dependencies
nowadays. I used to do it a lot in the early 90s, but it seems to be
pretty rare for me now. On Windows it's always been a bit worse though.

Anyway if it is anything the dev list is for discussion amongst the qpid
developers themselves (rather than developers who use qpid) and surely
they are the ons who "get to vote" about the build system.

> You mentioned "TBH, you shouldn't have to 'hack around' in either case",
> I agree entirely with that statement, but the fact is that I've always
> had to do that because building from source (particularly installing)
> has never "just worked" for me on my Ubuntu system. TBH even with 0.20
> it didn't just work and I had to
>
> export LDFLAGS=-L`dirname $(pwd)`/cpp/src/.libs

But this is due to not installing in the default ubuntu location,
nothing to do with the qpid build. If you wanted you could also go

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
> This seems sensible, although it does raise the question of what is
> 'dev' about this list if the choice of build system is a 'user' issue!
>
> Andrew

That was pretty much the point that Gordon was making :-) There's kind
of a blurry line between Qpid users and developers - certainly given
that for many cases users actually have to build Qpid from source in
order to use it. I guess that the user community is also likely to be
far more disparate, possibly on a wider set of platforms and very
possibly blessed :-) AKA restricted by "corporate IT standards". I know
plenty of cases where people are stuck with ancient OS versions because
of corporate support policies. So in many ways I'd argue that its the
user community that this should be flagged up with foremost, because
clearly you guys have been bubbling around with this thought process for
a while, but it might come as a surprise to others.

You mentioned "TBH, you shouldn't have to 'hack around' in either case",
I agree entirely with that statement, but the fact is that I've always
had to do that because building from source (particularly installing)
has never "just worked" for me on my Ubuntu system. TBH even with 0.20
it didn't just work and I had to

export LDFLAGS=-L`dirname $(pwd)`/cpp/src/.libs

before I do ./configure

But 0.12 was a nightmare to make install, which is one of the reasons
that I stayed with that for ages before I plucked up the courage to move
to 0.20

TBH I hadn't realised that the automake stuff was considered deprecated,
I certainly didn't notice anything in README or such like, though
perhaps I just missed it.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it and it sounds like cmake is
the preference, so fair enough and Steve's comment "Do you have an
alternative that works on Windows?" is entirely reasonable - though my
facetious response to that would be delete Windows and install a proper
Operating System :-D (sorry - couldn't help myself, and I'll concede Win
7 is pretty good).

Anyway all the points are fair and I'm not saying don't do it rather
just shout it from the rooftops, say it's deprecated any time a user
asks about make and echo "***** automake is deprecated and will be
deleted in version xyz ***** " in a few places in the build scripts.

Cheers,
Frase

Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 15:36 +0000, Fraser Adams wrote:
> Hi Alan,
> Personally I'd rather cmake was given the heave ho ;->
>
> for all of it's pain automake is something of a defacto standard for a
> ton of projects.

cmake is also a de facto standard (just for a different - albeit smaller
- set of projects)

> Re "Anyone know of specific issues that need to be addressed in cmake?"
> yeah, I don't have cmake installed :-D sorry. I'm just messing.

The tests are not at parity, autotools "make check" has quite a lot more
tests wired in than cmake "make test".

> Seriously though I've just reached a point with 0.20 where I didn't have
> to hack around with things to get Qpid to compile on my Ubuntu box, so
> if I'm honest I'm a little disinclined to change something that finally
> works to have things potentially break more again.

TBH, you shouldn't have to 'hack around' in either case, you just
install the prerequisites and compile. Substitute cmake for
autoconf/automake/libtool and you are prtty much done.

The actual piece of work here is to rework the README and INSTALL files
to reflect the current build/install process.

> If there are strong feelings that agree with your view to move to cmake
> can I suggest that deprecation rather than removal of automake is
> announced. I think just deleting it from 0.22 is a bit draconian and I
> think we should have a couple of releases at least where both exist but
> one is marked deprecated so that users get a chance to flag up where
> things break (plenty of users only work off official releases - imagine
> their surprise if they are forced to use cmake and either they don't
> have cmake installed or the cmake breaks for them).
>
> I'm clearly biased 'cause I haven't used cmake, but I'm very anti just
> deleting the automake build without a period of it being properly
> deprecated.

As Steve said I think the autoconf tool chain has been deprecated so
long that we've forgotten that we did it! My guess is something like 3
years.

We've very clearly demonstrated that without this sort of ultimatum
other things just remain more important.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
+1

I can help with cmake issues as well. I'm not aware of any problems, but the most likely spot is Linux packaging.