Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kevin Baker <kb...@missionvi.com> on 2004/09/22 23:02:04 UTC

postfix > exchange 421 time exceeded

We have a postfix box setup to relay mail to a clients
exchange box. It is used as a spam/virus gateway.

When email is sent from this one domain through our server
it timesout reporting a 421 time exceeeded error. It work
perfect for all domains but this one.

Strangely it is not constent. I am in touch with the
emailing domain's admin. He is able to reproduce the
problem with a telnet test. I have not been able to
reproduce it.

Has anyone had similiar problems? Any ideas how I could
troubleshoot this, or if maybe a setting I've missed?

It is possible its on their end, but I suspect its our
server configration.

Thanks,

Kevin

[OT] Re: postfix > exchange 421 time exceeded

Posted by Russ Uhte <ru...@parallax.ws>.
Kevin Baker wrote:
> We have a postfix box setup to relay mail to a clients
> exchange box. It is used as a spam/virus gateway.
>
> When email is sent from this one domain through our server
> it timesout reporting a 421 time exceeeded error. It work
> perfect for all domains but this one.
>
> Strangely it is not constent. I am in touch with the
> emailing domain's admin. He is able to reproduce the
> problem with a telnet test. I have not been able to
> reproduce it.
>
> Has anyone had similiar problems? Any ideas how I could
> troubleshoot this, or if maybe a setting I've missed?

This is not very likely to be an SA issue, hence the OT added to the
subject line.  The best way to diagnosis this would be by seeing your
Postfix logs for this transaction.  Post that snippet, and I'm sure
someone will be able to help you.

-Russ
---

Re: postfix > exchange 421 time exceeded

Posted by Kevin Baker <kb...@missionvi.com>.

>> The error is on the senders Exchange server. We have no
>> record of an error in the postfix logs.
>
> Nothing at all?
>
>> The sender admin said that when he does a telnet 25 test
>> message, it send successfully, but then the connection
>> freeezes and eventually times out with the 421 error. I
>> have not been able to reproduce it.
>
> debug_peer_list  = ip.of.the.exchange
> then enjoy the increased logging for all traffic from
> ip.of.the.exchange

This is helpful. I will add this. My main problem, is the
lack of errors in the log. Hopefully this willl help me to
narrow this down. Thanks

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.

Posted by Kevin Baker <kb...@missionvi.com>.

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.