Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by jp <jp...@saucer.midcoast.com> on 2009/04/02 22:20:57 UTC

spam from valid spammer domains

We're receiving a bunch of mail from domains that appear built for
spamming.

Here's an example.
pastelmedal.com spam comes from 66.132.203.125. This address isn't
listed by spamhaus, surbl, or any of 122 blacklists at mxtoolbox.com.

The email is here:
http://www.midcoast.com/~jp/p.txt

I get email from lots of different domains that have the same USPS
mailing address(es) listed, either in Denver CO or Wilmington DE.

They all have identical unsubscribe email forms if your visit their
webpage or IP:

http://mapwonder.com/
http://www.pastelmedal.com/
http://www.chestindigo.com/

What can I do to prevent more of these? I have a high volume mail
servers using SA 3.2.5, network checks, no bayes, no awl, postfix
allowing anything except sbl-xbl listed things and some helo and
recipient restrictions.

It seems to be well formed spam that just isn't tripping anything up.

Thanks,
Jason

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL

Re: spam from valid spammer domains

Posted by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 23:08 +0200, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > body AE_STOP_REMOVE5            /\bwish\bto\bend\b.{0,20}(?: ... )/i
>
> I guess you don't get a lot of hits for that one. ;)
>
> \b is a zero-width assertion, matching a word boundary, but not matching
> an actual character. /wish\bto/ will never match...

Oops!

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy

Re: spam from valid spammer domains

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Posted by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 16:20 -0400, jp wrote:
> We're receiving a bunch of mail from domains that appear built for
> spamming.
>
> Here's an example.
> pastelmedal.com spam comes from 66.132.203.125. This address isn't
> listed by spamhaus, surbl, or any of 122 blacklists at mxtoolbox.com.

Yup.  That's snowshoe spam.

> The email is here:
> http://www.midcoast.com/~jp/p.txt

I kill off a lot of those with these rules, but I'm finding that Rob
McEwen's Invaluement list works reasonably well.  It doesn't have this
spammer listed (yet!) but....
body AE_STOP_REMOVE               /to stop rec[ei]{2}ving.{0,20}(?:mailings|offers|messages|notices)/i
describe AE_STOP_REMOVE           Talks about how to be removed from mailings
score AE_STOP_REMOVE 2.999

body AE_STOP_REMOVE2              /to no longer rec[ei]{2}ve.{0,20}(?:mailings|offers|messages|notices)/i
describe AE_STOP_REMOVE2           Talks about how to be removed from mailings
score AE_STOP_REMOVE2 1.5

body AE_STOP_REMOVE3              /to suspend future.{0,20}(?:mailings|offers|messages|notices)/i
describe AE_STOP_REMOVE3        Talks about how to be removed from mailings
score AE_STOP_REMOVE3 3.0

body AE_STOP_REMOVE4            /\bend\b.{0,20}future.{0,20}(?:mailings|offers|messages|notices)/i
describe AE_STOP_REMOVE4        Talks about how to be removed from mailings
score AE_STOP_REMOVE4   2.5

body AE_STOP_REMOVE5            /\bwish\bto\bend\b.{0,20}(?:mailings|offers|messages|service|notices)/i
describe AE_STOP_REMOVE5        Talks about how to be removed from mailings
score AE_STOP_REMOVE5   2.5

uri AE_ASM                      /\/[[:alpha:]]{28,40}$/
describe AE_ASM                 long gibberish path used by ASM Marketing
score AE_ASM                    1

meta AE_GIBBERISH       AE_ASM && (AE_STOP_REMOVE || AE_STOP_REMOVE2 || AE_STOP_REMOVE3 || AE_STOP_REMOVE4 || AE_STOP_REMOVE5)
describe AE_GIBBERISH           Looks like spam we see a lot of
score AE_GIBBERISH      5

Looks like I need to add ADVERTISEMENTS to my list ;-)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, jp wrote:

> I get email from lots of different domains that have the same USPS
> mailing address(es) listed, either in Denver CO or Wilmington DE.

Some specific rules for those addresses, perhaps?

Which leads to the question: would having something analogous to URIBL for
mailing addresses and phone numbers be worthwhile?

Phone numbers would be pretty simple, but doing BL lookups for a mailing
address would probably involve a format standardization pass (non-trivial,
but tools are already available) and MD5 hashing the result for the
lookup.

   ...in the 2nd amendment the right to arms clause means you have
   the right to choose how many arms you want, and the militia clause
   means that Congress can punish you if the answer is "none."
                                 -- David Hardy, 2nd Amendment scholar
  71 days since Obama's inauguration and still no unicorn!