Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Steven Núñez <st...@illation.com> on 2013/12/06 10:02:43 UTC

Hue Using MR1?

Gents,

I’m starting an install from BigTop 0.70: HDFS, YARN and Hue, with the goal of building up from there to a minimal stack. In theory, this should be as simple as ‘yum install hadoop\* hue\*’; in practice this turns out to be surprisingly broken. For example, after the yum install hue is reporting a configuration error:

hadoop.mapred_clusters.default.hadoop_mapred_home Current value: /usr/lib/hadoop-0.20-mapreduce
Path does not exist on the filesystem.

Nowhere is this being set from the files that BigTop installed. Why is Hue looking for MR1 stuff?

Attempting to fix another misconfiguration reported by hue:

hadoop.hdfs_clusters.default.webhdfs_url Current value: None
Failed to access filesystem root

Is simple, however when restarting the daemons with: "for i in hadoop-hdfs-namenode hadoop-hdfs-datanode ; do service $i restart ; done", both daemons fail to restart (say, what happened to start-dfs.sh?). Extracts from the logs show the reasons:

  *   Datanode because: java.net.BindException: Problem binding to [0.0.0.0:50010] java.net.BindException: Address already in use
  *   Namenode because: java.io.IOException: Cannot lock storage /var/lib/hadoop-hdfs/cache/hdfs/dfs/name. The directory is already locked

So what I’ve done is a fresh installed, modified two config files, as described in the hue configuration section<http://cloudera.github.io/hue/docs-3.5.0/manual.html#usage>, and tried to restart the HDFS daemons and they’re failing. This probably isn’t what I’d call ‘working’.

I know that BigTop is at 0.70, but then again version numbers don’t mean much these days. Is this kind of error to be expected after a fresh install? When will it be safe to assume that a simple stack (HDFS, YARN, Hue, Oozie, Zookeeper) installation would be working ‘out of the box’ without loads of manual configuration?

Perhaps I’m missing the point (I’m definitely missing the documentation), but at this stage it seems BigTop’s primary advantage is to ensure that the collection of packages is version compatible. Would that be fair to say? I’m not unappreciative of the value there, but just want to set expectations with people on what they’re getting with BigTop in its current state. I recall some discussion of configuration before, and there were somewhat different opinions. One that I recall was (my words, summarizing my understanding):

BigTop doesn’t do any configuration, that’s all left to the individual packages; BigTop just places them on the filesystem in (somewhat, there’s still .cfg, .ini, .conf files) a consistent manner.

Would that be a fair statement?

Cheers,
- Steve

Re: Puppet manual

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi Ivo!

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Ivo Frankov <i....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Is there some step by step manual for puppet configuration on CentOS 6
>
> Following questions:
> a) how to install puppet ? is it already in bigtop distribution?

The puppet itself is best obtained from the puppetlabs own repo. E.g. for
CentOS 6.2/x64 you'll need this:
http://yum.puppetlabs.com/el/6.2/products/x86_64/

Personally, I'd recommend using Puppet 2.7

> b) some scrpits to start pseudo mode cluster for Hadoop , Spark, giraph,
> Solr, HBase, pig

I haven't tried using our puppet much for the pseudo distributed configuration,
but on a fully distributed cluster it seems to be working reasonably well. You
can try it in a pseudo distributed case and let us know. The entry point remains
the same:
     https://github.com/apache/bigtop/tree/master/bigtop-deploy/puppet

Thanks,
Roman.

Puppet manual

Posted by Ivo Frankov <i....@googlemail.com>.
Dear All,

Is there some step by step manual for puppet configuration on CentOS 6

Following questions:
a) how to install puppet ? is it already in bigtop distribution?
b) some scrpits to start pseudo mode cluster for Hadoop , Spark, giraph,
Solr, HBase, pig

Best  regards.
Ivo

Re: Hue Using MR1?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Hue Using MR1?

Posted by Steven Núñez <st...@illation.com>.
Good question. I¹ve got to say the BitTop community earns top points for
being helpful and constructive.

Specifically, I¹d say a working pseudo configuration for all components
would be a great start for newcomers. Second, I¹d look at puppet
integration, perhaps via Ambari or Hue. The update could prompt the user:
³Would you like to configure your cluster now? <y/n>² and then start the
interface for that. If that¹s too ambitious for a weekend, then include a
number of working puppet recipes and install them, along with some
pointers to the alternatives system.

Regards,
	- SteveN

Re: Hue Using MR1?

Posted by Steven Núñez <st...@illation.com>.
I guess the last thing I would add is a bit of QA around the init scripts
and other installed items. They seem to be frayed around the edges.

Re: Hue Using MR1?

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
See inline.