Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2003/12/01 03:11:02 UTC

Re: Case sensitivity of LIKE

Scott Eade wrote:

> I have recently converted an application that uses Torque from MySQL
> to PostgreSQL.  It has just become evident that LIKE statements behave
> differently between these two thus:
>
>    MySQL - LIKE is case insensitive.
>    PostgreSQL - LIKE is case sensitive, for case insensitive you can
> use ILIKE
>
> I have looked into Oracle and for it you need to go:
>
>    like UPPER(colname) like 'ABC' - and provide a functional index to
> make it work efficiently.
>
> I haven't looked at any further databases, but three variations for
> three systems is not a very good start.
>
> I guess I can hack it for PostgreSQL by just using my own " ILIKE"
> constant instead of Criteria.LIKE, but I am wondering if this
> something that Torque should perhaps cater for somehow?

Are there any objections to me adding ILIKE and NOT_ILIKE to SqlEnum so
that I can use these in my application?  If there are strong objections
against this the alternative would be to change the access of the
SqlEnum constructor to protected so that I can extend it to achieve the
same result.

Scott

--
Scott Eade