Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2011/11/29 14:59:33 UTC

deprecate a method for wagon stream api (was Re: [VOTE] Apache Maven 3.0.4 )

2011/11/29 Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>:
> Tamás Cservenák wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity, why is chunked transfer encoding used to transfer
>> the few byte long SHA1 string?
>

> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/AETHER-128
>

>> many servers does not support it
>> completely...
>

> Which suggests to deprecate the problematic method in the StreamingWagon
> API.
Agree I will .

> Benjamin

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: deprecate a method for wagon stream api (was Re: [VOTE] Apache Maven 3.0.4 )

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

2011/11/30 Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:
> Note that it wasn't really called until r1179571, so I think maybe the http-shared module should go back to not supporting it. I suppose that was added for Aether, which in turn is no longer needed :)
>
> While looking at that I noticed this code is probably being called for anything using the new putFromStream:
>
>                FileOutputStream fos = null;
>                try
>                {
>                    this.source = File.createTempFile( "http-wagon.", ".tmp" );
>                    this.source.deleteOnExit();
>
>                    fos = new FileOutputStream( this.source );
>                    IOUtil.copy( stream, fos );
>
> John authored this code a long time ago: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=786701. I get the feeling with your recent changes this hack might no longer be necessary.

Yup agree. I will try to remove that.

> Finally, why do we still have both http-shared and http-shared4?
IMHO there is a design issue here (see WAGON-359), those two modules
have the same classes in the same package
(org.apache.maven.wagon.shared.http).

@mark any good reason for that ? :-)

As now there is nothing shared now, because dav jackrabbit use
httpclient3 and http wagon use httpcli4, those classes can move to
their own modules. Or at least the package in shared4 must be change!
For some backward comp, I tend to be for package rename and keep those
http-shared* modules in 2.x (and remove it in 3.x)

Others ?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.