Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Christoph Wilhelms <Ch...@impress.com> on 2003/01/13 15:35:41 UTC

[ANTidote] Introspection implemented and updated ToDo's

Hi ALL!

I hope there is still some "ANTidote-Audience" listening ;). I've just
replaced the DTD-Defined Elements and Attributes by an Ant-Standard
introspection mechanism. Sorry, Nick, Craig and Erik: The DTD's aren't
necessary anymore IMHO. Have a look! Oh, and don't panic: I did not delete
the DTD-Stuff. It's just unused ATM.

At this point I'd like to give BIG CREDITS to Setfan. With his
IntrospectionHelper it was nearly "piece-of-cake" to implement :). GREAT
WORK! IT's one of the fastest reflection-code I've seen!

Of course this has just been a first step!

Short-run ToDos are:

- Cleanup the introspection code in ACEFactory (MY Task ;))
- Enable registring of custom tasks/jars/default.properties etc. (I can
handle this, too)
- Make the attributes aware of their type.
- implement attribute-editors for many of the types.
  - simple types (Sring, Integer, Boolean)
  - reference types
  - list/custom types
- Dayly/Weekly builds via Gump
- Deploy a WebStart-Version of ANTidote from ant.apache.org (Stefan, didn't
you want to contribute ;)).

I think, we get closer to a 1.0 now. I could really need some contributers
for the attribute editor implemetation... I think it'll take most of the
time - even if it's interesting enough I wont be able to manage shortly...

Feedback welcome :)

Cheers,
Chris

Re: [ANTidote] Introspection implemented and updated ToDo's

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Christoph Wilhelms
<Ch...@impress.com> wrote:

> - Deploy a WebStart-Version of ANTidote from ant.apache.org (Stefan,
> didn't you want to contribute ;)).

What do you want me to do?  If you say "write GUI code", the answer
will be no ;-)

Stefan

Re: [ANTidote] Introspection implemented and updated ToDo's

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 09:35  AM, Christoph Wilhelms wrote:
> Hi ALL!
>
> I hope there is still some "ANTidote-Audience" listening ;). I've just
> replaced the DTD-Defined Elements and Attributes by an Ant-Standard
> introspection mechanism. Sorry, Nick, Craig and Erik: The DTD's aren't
> necessary anymore IMHO. Have a look! Oh, and don't panic: I did not
> delete
> the DTD-Stuff. It's just unused ATM.

No apologies necessary - but I think you'll find that you might want
richer information about the tasks than you'll get with
IntrospectionHelper.  For example:

- Do you know the name mappings of the tasks?  If you are looking in
default.properties then you do, but some of those task mappings in
there are deprecated.  My metadata will tell you which those are.

- Do you get the descriptions of the attributes/elements?  With the
proposal/xdocs you do.

- Will you be able to tell which attributes/elements are required?
With proposal/xdocs you'll get that information (if we are rigorous
about defining it).

- for EnumeratedAttribute's - are you getting the values allowed?  This
would be easy for you to implement if you haven't already, but
proposal/xdocs gives you that information.

- Will you be able to plug in other task libraries that are outside of
Ant and get all of the above information too?  Thats the plan with
proposal/xdocs.

In other words - IntrospectionHelper is great - proposal/xdocs uses it
- but its not enough information, I don't think.

Thoughts?

	Erik