Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Diot Sebastien <s....@eurodata.de> on 2012/08/01 12:59:28 UTC

Could Camel be used to control Linux through Upstart?

Hi!

I'm new to the list. I've ordered the "Camel Book", but it's still in the
mail.

I was wondering if Camel could use Upstart:

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

to control jobs on a Linux box? Upstart is event-based, so it seems like a
good fit to me, but maybe there is something I don't get about Camel itself.
In all cases, I could not find any mention of the two working together.

Regards,
Sebastien Diot

Re: Could Camel be used to control Linux through Upstart?

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastien,

> I was wondering if Camel could use Upstart:
> to control jobs on a Linux box?

Yes it can. However there is no dedicated component for Upstart.

You can use Camel Exec Component [1] to execute Upstart commands. But
keep in mind that handling execs in Java can be the pain in the ass.

We could also create Upstart component that communicates with Upstart
via some [2] Java DBus library. Upstart can be managed via DBus (even
remotely via sockets as far as I know). Actually we could even think
about separated DBus and Upstart components.

I'll add this topic to my personal backlog and take a look it
(hopefully) someday.

Or maybe you want to work on the DBus component and contribute [3] it
to the Camel codebase? :) You won't work on this alone, people here
will support you.

Best regards.

[1] http://camel.apache.org/exec.html
[2] https://github.com/ptitfred/dbus-java