Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Attila Horvath <mu...@mutsuura.com> on 2006/03/31 14:01:16 UTC

FW: configuration (fwd)

All

Am a newbie to SVN. HAve some configuration questions...

I installed CYGWIN w/ SVN. Everything works relatively well. How do I
configure my environment variables to invoke xemacs automagically when I
want to compose a log msg w/ related SVN commands?

Also installed TortoiseSVN. When I start Windows Explorer I can see
Tortoise's directory & file markers so it appears to have installed properly
but this is because it is keying off the .svn directory created by
CYGWIN/SVN. When I try to do anything with TortoiseSVN I get consistent
error(s) [see attached GIF image]. The path shown is the correct path for
CYGWIN/SVN.

Why does TortoiseSVN not recognize the same path? How do I configure
TortoiseSVN such that I can use both CYGWIN/SVN and TortoiseSVN at the same
time?

Note: this is only a local install - not networked.

Thank you in advance,

Attila

Re: configuration (fwd)

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Attila Horvath wrote:
>> All
>>

>> Am a newbie to SVN. HAve some configuration questions...
>>

>> I installed CYGWIN w/ SVN. Everything works relatively well. How do I
>> configure my environment variables to invoke xemacs automagically
>> when I want to compose a log msg w/ related SVN commands?
>>

>> Also installed TortoiseSVN. When I start Windows Explorer I can see
>> Tortoise's directory & file markers so it appears to have installed
>> properly but this is because it is keying off the .svn directory
>> created by CYGWIN/SVN. When I try to do anything with TortoiseSVN I
>> get consistent error(s) [see attached GIF image]. The path shown is
>> the correct path for CYGWIN/SVN.
>>

>> Why does TortoiseSVN not recognize the same path? How do I configure
>> TortoiseSVN such that I can use both CYGWIN/SVN and TortoiseSVN at
>> the same time?
>>

>> Note: this is only a local install - not networked.
>>

>> Thank you in advance,

You need to set EDITOR or SSH_EDITOR in your environment. This is typically
done in your .bashrc or .profile file for your user account if you use the
default "/bin/bash" as your shell.

RE: Beginner - Subversion Windows 2003 - multiple repositories setup

Posted by Marc Poppleton <ma...@teamlog.com>.
Thanks! :)

You need to create separate subversion repositories for each main project.
svnadmin create "d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS" created one repository inside
d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS. What you need to do is this:

> mkdir d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS  <--- Folder where you will have subversion
project repositories
> svnadmin create d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS/ProjectA
> svnadmin create d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS/ProjectB
> svn mkdir file:///d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS/ProjectA/SubProjectA1
> svn mkdir file:///d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS/ProjectA/SubProjectA1/trunk
<file:///d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS/ProjectA/SubProjectA1/trunk>
> svn mkdir file:///d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS/ProjectB/SubProjectB1
> svn mkdir file:///d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS/ProjectA/SubProjectB1/trunk

and so on...

Re: Beginner - Subversion Windows 2003 - multiple repositories setup

Posted by Alex <xl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marc Poppleton <ma...@teamlog.com>.
Hi,

[...]

But : how the hell do I do that and how do I setup every thing? I fear I'm a
total jerk!

What I'm looking for is something like that:

d:/SUBVERSION_REPOS
    |___Project A repository
    |        |________Sub project A-1/
    |        |            |__trunk/
    |        |            |__tags/
    |        |            |__branches/
    |        |________Sub project A-2/
    |        |            |__trunk/
    |        |            |__tags/
    |        |            |__branches/
    |___Project B repository

Re: FW: configuration (fwd)

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Attila Horvath <mu...@mutsuura.com> wrote:
> All
>

> Am a newbie to SVN. HAve some configuration questions...

<snip>

> Also installed TortoiseSVN. When I start Windows Explorer I can see
> Tortoise's directory & file markers so it appears to have installed properly
> but this is because it is keying off the .svn directory created by
> CYGWIN/SVN. When I try to do anything with TortoiseSVN I get consistent
> error(s) [see attached GIF image]. The path shown is the correct path for
> CYGWIN/SVN.
>
> Why does TortoiseSVN not recognize the same path? How do I configure
> TortoiseSVN such that I can use both CYGWIN/SVN and TortoiseSVN at the same
> time?

TortoiseSvn is a regular windows application. The path
"file:///cygdrive" does not exist outside of your CYGWIN environment.

Why not use the windows command line client for subversion instead of CYGWIN?

/Johan