Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org> on 2010/06/10 18:10:58 UTC

current xwork?

I finally figured out how to work around what seemed like an OGNL bug,
and in trying to track it down to submit a patch/JIRA issue, found that
it's already been fixed by Musachy and checked in last November 6th in
the opensymphony xwork svn, (revision 2075).  In fact, the method
causing me grief has never even been in the apache svn version of xwork.
The issue was fixed during cleanup Musachy did as related to this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3306

But we still have no release including that fix.  I recognize that I've
not helped resolve any outstanding JIRA issues that would help us get
2.2 out the door (and that I've even contributed to the delays as the
author one of the 5 remaining unresolved issues that is mostly awaiting
unit test code I should have submitted with the issue in the first place
(WW-3260)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseVersion.jspa?id=12311041&versionId=12314680&showOpenIssuesOnly=true
) so please don't see this message as just another "When's the next
release coming?" whine.

I'm posting this more to ask for people's opinion of the state of the
trunk, with the xwork package migration already done.  Are there any
real regressions?  That short list of outstanding issues doesn't appear
to include any that would effect me, so is there any real reason for me
to avoid just doing a local build and developing against that?  Given
that I've a workaround in place for this specific bug in the released
2.1.8.1's xwork 2.1.6, is there really any reason to develop against the
trunk rather than that release?  Has anyone started working on "2.1 ->
2.2" upgrade instructions yet?

-Dale

Re: current xwork?

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2010/6/10 Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>:
> I finally figured out how to work around what seemed like an OGNL bug, and
> in trying to track it down to submit a patch/JIRA issue, found that it's
> already been fixed by Musachy and checked in last November 6th in the
> opensymphony xwork svn, (revision 2075).  In fact, the method causing me
> grief has never even been in the apache svn version of xwork.
> The issue was fixed during cleanup Musachy did as related to this issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3306

Strange situation, I've compared both version and didn't notice any differences.

> But we still have no release including that fix.  I recognize that I've not
> helped resolve any outstanding JIRA issues that would help us get 2.2 out
> the door (and that I've even contributed to the delays as the author one of
> the 5 remaining unresolved issues that is mostly awaiting unit test code I
> should have submitted with the issue in the first place (WW-3260)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseVersion.jspa?id=12311041&versionId=12314680&showOpenIssuesOnly=true
> ) so please don't see this message as just another "When's the next release
> coming?" whine.

The main problem right now are the ugly looking documents after
exporting them from Confluence, you can check them here
https://cwiki.apache.org/WW/

The second problem is ongoing Vote to release Struts Master that will
allow to use Nexus for Maven release process.

> I'm posting this more to ask for people's opinion of the state of the trunk,
> with the xwork package migration already done.  Are there any real
> regressions?  That short list of outstanding issues doesn't appear to
> include any that would effect me, so is there any real reason for me to
> avoid just doing a local build and developing against that?  Given that I've
> a workaround in place for this specific bug in the released 2.1.8.1's xwork
> 2.1.6, is there really any reason to develop against the trunk rather than
> that release?  Has anyone started working on "2.1 -> 2.2" upgrade
> instructions yet?

There were few minor changes to XWork after moving it to Apache. The
main changes are in Ognl 3.0 and as well in Struts2 itself. The main
change is excluded Javassist from XWork and it must be manually added
to a application (I'm still wondering if it was right move).

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/