Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Alexey Kharlamov <ah...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/09 18:27:07 UTC

Re: HBase 0.96 & Hive support

Hello!

Thank you all for your help.

--
Alexey Kharlamov
On 1 Mar 2014 at 00:00:15, Nick Dimiduk (ndimiduk@gmail.com) wrote:

I'll add to Stan's summary: the effort to add DataType API to HBase [0] is driven by precisely this kind of use-case. When applications all agree on the encoding format, this level of interop becomes far simpler and more predictable. As Stan says, we're not there yet, but I'm optimistic ;)

[0]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8089

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Stan Campbell <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Alexey.. You might find this useful: http://hortonworks.com/blog/hbase-via-hive-part-1/

Short answer: Possible but not necessarily performant from the point of view of Hive.  However, if you break out part of your data from HBase (based on its query profile) you can get excellent performance at a cost of some disk.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Alexey Kharlamov <ah...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello!

I am considering deployment of Phoenix for you data warehouse project. It seems to fit quite well. But we would like to use Hive to query archive.

Will it be possible to access data in HBase from both Hive and Phoenix?

I read that HBase 0.96 support is on roadmap. But what is timeline for release of the new version?

Thank you