Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Jihong Liu <ji...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/25 19:54:42 UTC

A possible big bug: Delta files created by hive hcatalog streaming cannot be compacted!

hive hcatalog streaming will also create a file like bucket_n_flush_length
in each delta directory. Where "n" is the bucket number. But
the compactor.CompactorMR think this file also needs to compact. However
this file of course cannot be compacted, so compactor.CompactorMR will not
continue to do the compaction.

Did a test, after removed the bucket_n_flush_length file, then the "alter
table partition compact" finished successfully. If don't delete that file,
nothing will be compacted.
This is probably a very severity bug. Both 0.13 and 0.14 have this issue.

Thanks
Jihong

Re: A possible big bug: Delta files created by hive hcatalog streaming cannot be compacted!

Posted by Jihong Liu <ji...@gmail.com>.
Alan,
Thank you very much for the quick response. The hive jira: HIVE-8966 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-8966) has been created.
This is really a big issue. We are using hive hcatalog streaming to
populate data into hive. It will be very bad if the data cannot be
compacted. So please fix it as early as possible.
Thank you very much for your help
Jihong

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.