Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Sterin, Ilya" <Is...@ciber.com> on 2002/12/24 21:26:52 UTC

Best way to do database update forms

Hi, I just wanted to ask for a recommendation on doing say a member update
form.

Do I need two Actions, one for retrieving the data and populating the form,
then forwarding to a jsp page, and one for validating and updating the db?
This is the first thing that came to my mind, so I wondered if someone had a
better solution, if they deem this one not the best:-)  i was planning on
forwarding the update link to the member_show.do servlet first, then it will
forward to jsp page once it populates the form, but that's an issue, do to
below...

Also, I plan on having the update_member jsp page in the member directory,
which will be filtered for logon criteria and if not forwarded to the logon
page, my question is...

Because I need to execute the Servlet which populates the jsp form first and
then it is forwarded to the update_member jsp form, I can't use the filter
since the servlet would already require the logon information.  I can
ofcourse put in a small check in the servlet and forward to logon if needed,
but what about the rest of the servlets that will need such a check, would I
not have the ability to filter those as the jsp pages?

I think the issue goes back to the design of my initial paragraph question,
where the update member functionality might need to be designed differently.

I appreciate any feedback on this.  Thanks a bunch.

Ilya