Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nando Beifiori <na...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/10 15:28:02 UTC

Intel v3 and v4 CPUs in the same cluster

Hi all,

quick but very important question: I have a cluster with Intel Xeon E5-2667
v3 CPUs and I need to add another host, but my provider has replaced the v3
with the v4 of the same CPU.

The differences are:

   - Lithography (22nm > 14nm)
   - Cache size (20MB > 25MB)
   - Max Memory Bandwidth (68 GB/s > 76.8 GB/s)
   - Intel TSX-NI feature which is present in v4 but not in the v3.

Frequency, turbo frequency and cores are exactly the same.
Would it be possible to add the new host to the same cluster or should I
create a new cluster or maybe look for a provider that still has the v3 CPU?

Cloudstack version is 4.9 and hosts use Centos 7.2.

Thanks in advance

Re: Intel v3 and v4 CPUs in the same cluster

Posted by Nando Beifiori <na...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarification.

In this specific case v3 is a Haswell-noTSX while v4 is a Broadwell, with
the latter that has 6 more features (according to the cpu_map.xml )

So, I reckon an agent.properties set as follows would work:

guest.cpu.mode=custom
guest.cpu.model=Haswell-noTSX

Thanks again

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
From my experience, yes it would work.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Intel v3 and v4 CPUs in the same cluster

Posted by Nando Beifiori <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rafael,

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--