Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sterling <sm...@omeninc.com> on 2000/11/30 22:18:42 UTC

Postgres Driver.

H-

Can anyone point me in the direction of a postgres driver so I can hook
up JSP to work with my postgres database?
I checked the Postgres website and it's down. 8^(

I'm getting
javax.servlet.ServletException: Unable to load class postgresql.Driver
errors when I attempt it.

I believe that's the problem.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
Thanks.
-Sterling

Re: Postgres Driver.

Posted by Sterling <sm...@omeninc.com>.
H-

Thanks for your email.

I found another page that has the download file but not for my version.

I'm using postgres 6.5.3.
Here's the page in case others are looking for it.
http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/download.html

The closest version I found on this page is 6.5.2. Would it be a problem to use
this version instead?
I really don't know.

-Sterling

Re: Postgres Driver.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Sterling wrote:

> H-
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I ftp'd into posrgresql.org but didn't find any src directory. 8^(

> Are you saying that you went into this directory and downloaded a file that you
> compiled on your system (using root) and it than was able to be called via JSP?
> Or was there some other setup and README.txt file that came with it that you
> had to use to set it up?

No ... I downloaded the ***Postgres 7.0.3 source distribution***, and unpacked
it
locally on my system.  On the web site front page there was a link to the
"Downloads" area.

> Any other thoughts on where I could find this file in some other location? How
> big is this file? KB's or MB's? What's the name of the file? Do you know the
> name?
> I went to the website and found some ftp directories but nothing that looked
> like what I was looking for. I did find a 'source' directory but it didn't have
> an interfaces directory. 8^(
>
> I'm using 6.5.3 postgres. Would it be easier to just dl the lastest and
> greatest and install that? Would that be a valuable solution? Or would I still
> need to locate this extra file and get it somewhere?

If you have the source distribution of 6.5.3 you should have the sources for the
JDBC driver in there as well.  I think it was even in the same place
(src/interfaces/jdbc).

> Thanks again for any further info.
> -Sterling

Craig

Re: Postgres Driver.

Posted by Sterling <sm...@omeninc.com>.
H-

Re: Postgres Driver.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Sterling wrote:

> H-
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of a postgres driver so I can hook
> up JSP to work with my postgres database?
> I checked the Postgres website and it's down. 8^(

I got my driver by downloading the Postgres source distribution from
<http://www.postgresql.org>.  It's in the "src/interfaces/jdbc" directory,
including a makefile to build it (postgresql.jar).

> I'm getting
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Unable to load class postgresql.Driver
> errors when I attempt it.

NOTE:  For Postgres 7.0.3 the driver name changed to org.postgresql.Driver.

> I believe that's the problem.
>
> Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
> Thanks.
> -Sterling

Craig McClanahan