Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Marko Nikolić <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/06 10:30:30 UTC

Guacamole gaming

Hello,

We are trying to use Guacamole to run several games on the remote Win
server. The experience when using direct RDP is acceptable, but via
Guacamole is terrible, the game is lagging and not really usable.

Are there some hints/options that can help in getting better performance in
Guacamole? Will adding GPU on the Guacamole server provide any increase in
performance? In my understanding, both guacd and libfreerdp does not use
hardware GPU even if present.

Tested configuration: Remote win server and Guacamole are in the AWS, in
the same network. Guacamole server has 2xCPU with 4GB of RAM, version is
0.9.14 and libfreerdp 1.x.

Regards,
Marko

Re: Guacamole gaming

Posted by Antony Awaida <an...@apporto.com>.
Hi Mike:

As we consider adding GPU support to both XFreeRPP 1.0 and Guacamole, do
you have any sense of how much improvement may be achieved - for games and
videos. I do realize this may be application dependent etc... - But just
looking for a ballpark figure.

Thanks,
Antony

ᐧ

--
Antony Awaida
CEO

Re: Guacamole gaming

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:59 Antony Awaida <an...@apporto.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike:
>
> We are looking into the options you have outlined above - but it would be
> helpful if we had some visibility into when will Guac support FreeRDP 2.0
> some rough target dates would be helpful.  This will enable us to do better
> planning.

You can track this via the JIRA issue:

Updates will be made to that issue when we make progress toward supporting
it.

-Nick

Re: Guacamole gaming

Posted by Antony Awaida <an...@apporto.com>.
Hi Mike:

We are looking into the options you have outlined above - but it would be
helpful if we had some visibility into when will Guac support FreeRDP 2.0
some rough target dates would be helpful.  This will enable us to do better
planning.

Thanks!
Antony Awaida

--
Antony Awaida
CEO

Re: Guacamole gaming

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>.

Re: Guacamole gaming

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are trying to use Guacamole to run several games on the remote Win
> server. The experience when using direct RDP is acceptable, but via
> Guacamole is terrible, the game is lagging and not really usable.
>
> Are there some hints/options that can help in getting better performance
> in Guacamole? Will adding GPU on the Guacamole server provide any increase
> in performance? In my understanding, both guacd and libfreerdp does not
> use hardware GPU even if present.

In order for the GPU to be of any use, you'd have to write some code to
actually use it, so, no, I do not believe a hardware GPU will help.

> Tested configuration: Remote win server and Guacamole are in the AWS, in
> the same network. Guacamole server has 2xCPU with 4GB of RAM, version is
> 0.9.14 and libfreerdp 1.x.

I suggest, first, that you monitor performance of your Guacamole system to
make sure it has adequate resources.  While 2 vCPU and 4GB of RAM should be
plenty for very low-end use, it's quite possible that with both Tomcat
(Java) and guacd on that host trying to do gaming that you're running into
resource constraints.  Since you're using AWS, I'd suggest trying a few
different instance sizes to see if you're able to get any better
performance by increasing available resources.  You could also try putting
Guacamole Client (Tomcat) on a separate instance from guacd and see which
of the two is really driving the resource consumption.  Since it's all on
the same network and in the same region the network connectivity between
guacd and Guacamole Client shouldn't be a problem.

-Nick