Posted to user@struts.apache.org by John Atherton <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/08/17 12:07:58 UTC

Shale ... where can I find out more?

Hi,

I was about to dive straight into a pretty standard Model 2 application for
a client that I would have ordinarily written from scratch.  I've been
meaning to look at Struts for a while ... I now have and it's clearly going
to give me a leg-up when writing the "top half" of the application.  Then I
came across Shale.  I've never used JSF so firstly, is this now the way to
go?  Secondly, where can I find out more?  And finally how steep is the
learning curve?  There doesn't appear to be the Shale equivalent of
http://struts.apache.org

Any help gratefully received.

John

Re: How can I refer a control in javascript which hava a "." in its name

Posted by Jeff Beal <jb...@gmail.com>.
You also have the option of doing document.form[0]['myobject.subobject'].

Posted by BH...@powersystems.rockwell.com.
property="myobject.subobject" styleId="subobject" .../>

then get the field by using

document.getElementById("subobject");

             Tony Smith
             <quickcur@yahoo.c
                                       Struts Users Mailing List
             08/18/2005 01:07          <us...@struts.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         How can I refer a control  in
               "Struts Users           javascript which hava a "." in its
               Mailing List"           name
             <user@struts.apac
                  he.org>

Hi everyone:

Here is my jsp:

Re: Struts and Laszlo

Posted by Guillaume Lederrey <gu...@gmail.com>.
On 8/18/05, Lucas Bern <lu...@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> I´would it be a nosense to integrate Laszlo with struts???

  Not a complete non-sense, but maybe an overkill ...

> I think Laszlo is responsible for controlling the application, so, may be we can hav struts incharge of generating data in XML format so that Laszlo presentation server show it???

  Struts is great for the controller model it provides. If you develop
a Laszlo application, Laszlo will probably take the role of the
controller (at least that's how I would do it). The the server side
should only serve stateless XML data. That's pretty easy to do with
whatever technology.

> I´m thinking of extending struts so that its output be XML for laszlo (or who ever), abstracting it form HTML...
>
> am I making a mountain from a stone ...

  More or less yes. There's not much HTML dependant in Struts. I would
say that the tag libs are the only really HTML dependant parts of
Struts. And it's pretty easy to output XML with just the JSTL ...

> I mean, a servlet would be enough???

  Yo uhave to think at which parts of Struts will be usefull for you.
The input checking forms are probably usefull, the taglibs probably
not ...

  I hope that helps a bit ...

     Guillaume

PS : I've worked with Laszlo for a few month before abandoning it and
coming back to Struts (with the help of AndroMDA - team.andromda.org).
There was too many problems with memory management, asynchronous
execution ...  be carefull !

Re: [OT] Loading data for view

Posted by Tom Ziemer <t....@dkfz-heidelberg.de>.
Thanks for your answers.

I added a new method to my DAO that allows me to execute predefined
queries and returns kind of "general-purpose-dto"s, that only consist of
a treemap which stores the requested values from the db. So I get one
g-p-DTO per row in my ResultSet that can be passed to the view for
rendering.

Is this a bad design? Is the "Transfer RowSet pattern" suggested by Colm
a cleaner approach?

I am wondering whether this is not a common problem for any application
that is based on database with a hierarchical design. Most of the time
you won't need an entire object tree but only parts of it.

Regards,
Tom

Re: Struts and Laszlo

Posted by "C.F. Scheidecker Antunes" <na...@antunes.eti.br>.
Luc,

I have designed Laszlo applications having both PHP and Servlets as
controllers.
It worked great and your idea is right on.
In fact I am starting a Struts/Laszlo app pretty soon.
Have in mind that Laszlo is the View of the MVC model.
I understand that you can also use Laszlo as the controler.
But I had a project done for School with laszlo and Servlets and the way
I've used Laszlo was to
act as the view model and do browser validation as you can have
Javascript with Laszlo.
Other than that all the logic and interaction with the business layer
were done by my servlets.
With Struts the principle is the same.

Keep in mind one thing for Laszlo. Even if you only post data to your
Struts action you have to return some
sort of xml structure or your Laszlo app will crash.
Something like:
<result>
<status>success</status>
</result>
or <result status="success"/>

Basicaly instead of having a JSP front end you will have a Laszlo front end.
However programming it with Laszlo is more like doing a GUI app with
events and all other
than a CGI application.

good luck Luc

Lucas Bern wrote:

>Hia guys...
>
>I´would it be a nosense to integrate Laszlo with struts???
>
>I think Laszlo is responsible for controlling the application, so, may be we can hav struts incharge of generating data in XML format so that Laszlo presentation server show it???
>
>I´m thinking of extending struts so that its output be XML for laszlo (or who ever), abstracting it form HTML...
>
>am I making a mountain from a stone ...
>
>I mean, a servlet would be enough???
>
>Luc

Re: Struts and Laszlo

Posted by BH...@powersystems.rockwell.com.
I am not sure I follow what you are wanting to do.  You can already return
data in XML from struts.  It is all in how you create your output.  You can
return XML in the response.  As for presentation, Struts is primarily a
controller framework.  You can implement any model or view structure you
wish.  I have used Struts with XML so that I can generate HTML, PDF, or
Excel reports through XML:FO many times.

             Lucas Bern
             <lucjb@yahoo.com.
             ar>                                                        To
                                       Struts Users Mailing List
             08/18/2005 10:39          <us...@struts.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Struts and Laszlo
               "Struts Users
               Mailing List"
             <user@struts.apac
                  he.org>

Hia guys...

I´would it be a nosense to integrate Laszlo with struts???

I think Laszlo is responsible for controlling the application, so, may be
we can hav struts incharge of generating data in XML format so that Laszlo
presentation server show it???

I´m thinking of extending struts so that its output be XML for laszlo (or
who ever), abstracting it form HTML...

am I making a mountain from a stone ...

I mean, a servlet would be enough???

Luc

Correo Yahoo!

Struts and Laszlo

Re: [OT] Loading data for view

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

[OT] Loading data for view

Re: Shale ... where can I find out more?

Posted by Lixin Chu <li...@gmail.com>.
thanks !

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Lixin Chu" <li...@gmail.com>

Posted by Lixin Chu <li...@gmail.com>.
is there a road map/milestone for Shale developemnt ?
I am pretty comfortable with Struts now but would like to explore
Shale in the next project.

thanks
lixin

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/17/05, Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> wrote:
> At 11:49 AM +0100 8/17/05, John Atherton wrote:
> >Okay I've found the place to go for all things Shale but my other two
> >questions still stand.
>
> first, a disclaimer:  I've never written a JSF app let alone a Shale app.
>
> >  > Then I came across Shale.  I've never used JSF so firstly, is this now the
> >>  way to go?
>
> Roughly, Shale is to JSF as Struts is to JSP: it provides a framework
> which supports best-practices application development with features
> that are outside of the scope of the basic Sun technology.

"Roughly" that's pretty accurate :-), although there is one level of
internal difference that you will want to be aware of.  JSF includes a
controller servlet (like Struts and other MVC frameworks), and
supports other controller features like navigation, itself.  Shale
builds around the edges to add value (functionality and/or ease of use
improvements), without any attempt to redundantly implement features
that JSF provides by itself.

One place I *don't* see Shale going, by the way, is to become yet
another library of JSF components.  There will be a few such
components that integrate directly with Shale features (like the ones
that integrate the Commons Validator facilities), but the whole idea
of a standard component API is that you should be able to use
*anyone's* components with it.

> If you're going to use JSF, you should probably check out Shale.

I would agree with this ... especially for new app development.

> You can use struts-faces to connect JSF to Struts, but if you have no
> deep Struts experience, you wouldn't be gaining much of anything, and
> in fact you'd lose all the benefits that Shale has by virtue of
> learning from several years of Struts development experience.

The integration library should be primarily considered as a tool
useful in a migration strategy.

> >Secondly, where can I find out more?  And finally how steep is
> >>  the learning curve?  There doesn't appear to be the Shale equivalent of
> >>  http://struts.apache.org

Shale's website, by the way, is at:

  http://struts.apache.org/shale/

The feature descriptions have not all been fleshed out yet, but the
javadocs are pretty thorough for those cases.

> I'm not sure what the second question was: about the learning curve?
> I'm not the one to answer that.  But since Shale is a subproject of
> Struts, there is no "shale.apache.org"
>
> Since there has not been a full release of Shale, the struts-dev list
> is generally considered the more fruitful place for discussions about
> it.
>
> Hope this helps,
>         Joe

Craig

Re: Shale ... where can I find out more?

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com

Re: Shale ... where can I find out more?

Posted by John Atherton <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.