Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by AF...@excelsior.edu on 2008/10/15 15:42:51 UTC

Tomcat Shutdown Port as Variable

Hi All -

I have quite a few installs of Tomcat on the same server (same
CATALINA_HOME, different CATALINA_BASE), and I am interested in making my
configs a little more portable.  I'm trying to make certain unique items
in my server.xml variable ( ${variablename} ), being pulled from my
CATALINA_OPTS as parameters (-D...).  Everything works great, however, the
shutdown port seems to be an issue.  Since catalina.sh does not utilize
CATALINA_OPTS for the stop command, it does not process my parameter
(-Dtc.shutdown.port=xxxx) and therefore will not attempt to shutdown the
correct port.  Is there any good way to achieve this to keep my server.xml
modular without hacking apart the standard scripts that come with tomcat?

for reference, TC version 6.0.18

Thanks,

Al

RE: Tomcat Shutdown Port as Variable

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat Shutdown Port as Variable
>
> a shame that you cant specify that attribute via %JAVA_OPTS%

As Rainer already pointed out, you can; the shutdown script does not use CATALINA_OPTS, but it does honor JAVA_OPTS.

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat Shutdown Port as Variable

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
a shame that you cant specify that attribute via %JAVA_OPTS%
maybe look at writing a set_8005 script which writes that <specific_port> to %TOMCAT_HOME%/conf/server.xml
should be fine as long as you execute the script before starting TC ..

any other suggestions?
Martin Gainty
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Posted by AF...@excelsior.edu.
> > I have quite a few installs of Tomcat on the same server (same
> > CATALINA_HOME, different CATALINA_BASE), and I am interested in making
my
> > configs a little more portable.  I'm trying to make certain unique
items
> > in my server.xml variable ( ${variablename} ), being pulled from my
> > CATALINA_OPTS as parameters (-D...).  Everything works great, however,
the
> > shutdown port seems to be an issue.  Since catalina.sh does not
utilize
> > CATALINA_OPTS for the stop command, it does not process my parameter
> > (-Dtc.shutdown.port=xxxx) and therefore will not attempt to shutdown
the
> > correct port.  Is there any good way to achieve this to keep my
server.xml
> > modular without hacking apart the standard scripts that come with
tomcat?

> Adding it to JAVA_OPTS instead?

That works as expected.  Thank you very much!

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
AFaller@excelsior.edu wrote:
> Hi All -
>
> I have quite a few installs of Tomcat on the same server (same
> CATALINA_HOME, different CATALINA_BASE), and I am interested in making my
> configs a little more portable.  I'm trying to make certain unique items
> in my server.xml variable ( ${variablename} ), being pulled from my
> CATALINA_OPTS as parameters (-D...).  Everything works great, however, the
> shutdown port seems to be an issue.  Since catalina.sh does not utilize
> CATALINA_OPTS for the stop command, it does not process my parameter
> (-Dtc.shutdown.port=xxxx) and therefore will not attempt to shutdown the
> correct port.  Is there any good way to achieve this to keep my server.xml
> modular without hacking apart the standard scripts that come with tomcat?

Adding it to JAVA_OPTS instead?

Regards,

Rainer