Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org> on 2021/03/17 15:54:41 UTC

500 error when inviting new blog admin

Hi, folks,

I have just added some people to the Conferences section of blogs.apache.org, as authors. Each time, the server returns a 500 error, but the user is successfully added.

The error message, which is extremely lengthy, starts with:

15:45:43.850 [http-nio-8080-exec-747] ERROR org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.DefaultDispatcherErrorHandler - Exception occurred during processing request: Method "save" failed for object org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.struts2.editor.MembersInvite@51d2271
ognl.MethodFailedException: Method "save" failed for object org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.struts2.editor.MembersInvite@51d2271
        at ognl.OgnlRuntime.callAppropriateMethod(OgnlRuntime.java:1932) ~[ognl-3.1.26.jar:?]
        at ognl.ObjectMethodAccessor.callMethod(ObjectMethodAccessor.java:68) ~[ognl-3.1.26.jar:?]
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.accessor.XWorkMethodAccessor.callMethodWithDebugInfo(XWorkMethodAccessor.java:98) ~[struts2-core-2.5.22.jar:2.5.22]

This is apparently caused by ...

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.activation.DataSource

Infra can provide the whole error message if that would be at all helpful.

This appears to happen when the server has been idle for a very long time. ie, if I invite someone, this happens, but if I do a second one right away, I do not get the 500 error. Trying again the next morning, I get the 500 error again. This seems to suggest some kind of data connection timeout?

Anyways, thanks, as always, for a great tool, and let me know if I can provide any further information.

Re: 500 error when inviting new blog admin

Posted by Chris Thistlethwaite <ch...@apache.org>.
Added activation.jar (v1.1.1) to the same path as mail.jar. I'm guessing
blogs.a.o is going to need a bounce before that gets picked up?

-CT

Posted by Chris Thistlethwaite <ch...@apache.org>.
/usr/share/tomcat8/lib/javax.mail.jar is on disk and in Puppet, but I
don't see activation.jar anywhere. It's not in the old Puppet repo either.

-Chris T.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Part of the typical Roller installation process is adding mail.jar and
activation.jar to the Tomcat classpath. It appears that perhaps those files
have been deleted from the Roller setup. I'm pretty sure this was
working before on blogs.apache.org.  Maybe Christ T or Gavin M would be

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.