Posted to users@streampipes.apache.org by Fei Xu <fe...@alumni.duke.edu> on 2021/09/15 04:07:07 UTC

Connect old machine tools to StreamPipes

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a pilot project connecting manufacturing equipment (likely older machines) up to StreamPipes for the eventual goal of collecting sensor data and calculating efficiency stats (OEE, downtime, etc).

How have people approached connecting non-networked machines to StreamPipes? Is there any particular hardware you would recommend that you've had a good experience with?

Would anybody be willing to share an example of a project they've done end-to-end connecting older equipment to [some hardware] and then to StreamPipes?

Thanks,
Fei

RE: Connect old machine tools to StreamPipes

Posted by Mike Sofen <ms...@runbox.com>.
If instead, the op was interested in connecting up machinery/instruments
that already have sensors/data but use a legacy port like RS-232, I found a
company making excellent, inexpensive ($30usd) RS-232 to ethernet adapters.
They are small, come in a variety of versions, and come with software that
allows you to configure the protocols and interface to capture the data.  I
only experimented with the unit I acquired but it worked flawlessly.

https://www.pusr.com/products/1-port-rs232-to-ethernet-converters-usr-tcp232
-302.html

Mike

Posted by Philipp Zehnder <ze...@apache.org>.
Hi Fei,

[1] https://www.netio-products.com/ <https://www.netio-products.com/>

Posted by Fei Xu <fe...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Hi Philipp and Mike, thank you for sharing the information. This is helpful.

Best,
Fei