Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net> on 2006/08/20 19:39:48 UTC

Project Activity

Hi all,

in case you're not subscribed to the general mailing list,
Henri Yandell has posted some statistics about Jakarta project
activity there:

> Mail: (Aug 19 data)
>
> (includes commits, wiki, jira, bugzilla noise)
>
> 9486 - jakarta-commons-dev
> 3140 - jakarta-jmeter-user
> 2459 - jakarta-commons-user
> 1788 - jakarta-jmeter-dev
> 1512 - jakarta-httpclient-dev
> 1082 - jakarta-httpclient-user
> 901 - jakarta-poi-user
> 868 - jakarta-general
> 802 - jakarta-velocity-user
> 739 - jakarta-poi-dev
> 672 - jakarta-velocity-dev
> 580 - jakarta-slide-user
> 355 - jakarta-turbine-user
> 308 - jakarta-jcs-users
> 288 - jakarta-httpclient-commits
> [snip]
>
> SVN (Aug 11 data)
>
> 2273 - commons
> 747 - jmeter
> 282 - httpcomponents
> 159 - poi
> 129 - site
> [snip]

We're the third most active project in Jakarta behind commons
and JMeter. And we have only one and a half coding committers.
That tells a lot about how much effort Oleg is putting into
this project. Thanks, Oleg! Hipp hipp hooray! x3

But it also raises some concerns about the health of this
project. I hope that we can deliver a fully functional release
of HttpComponents eventually, and that more developers join
after that.
Until I see that happening, I will be in favor of changes that
have a prospect of bringing more people on board. In particular
Henri's suggestion of joining some developer mailing lists.
I'm not sure how well we fit with Taglibs and Velocity, which
is what he suggested, but I like the general idea of merging
some subcommunities.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: Project Activity

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 19:39 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in case you're not subscribed to the general mailing list,
> Henri Yandell has posted some statistics about Jakarta project
> activity there:
>
> > Mail: (Aug 19 data)
> >
> > (includes commits, wiki, jira, bugzilla noise)
> >
> > 9486 - jakarta-commons-dev
> > 3140 - jakarta-jmeter-user
> > 2459 - jakarta-commons-user
> > 1788 - jakarta-jmeter-dev
> > 1512 - jakarta-httpclient-dev
> > 1082 - jakarta-httpclient-user
> > 901 - jakarta-poi-user
> > 868 - jakarta-general
> > 802 - jakarta-velocity-user
> > 739 - jakarta-poi-dev
> > 672 - jakarta-velocity-dev
> > 580 - jakarta-slide-user
> > 355 - jakarta-turbine-user
> > 308 - jakarta-jcs-users
> > 288 - jakarta-httpclient-commits
> > [snip]
> >
> > SVN (Aug 11 data)
> >
> > 2273 - commons
> > 747 - jmeter
> > 282 - httpcomponents
> > 159 - poi
> > 129 - site
> > [snip]
>
> We're the third most active project in Jakarta behind commons
> and JMeter. And we have only one and a half coding committers.
> That tells a lot about how much effort Oleg is putting into
> this project. Thanks, Oleg! Hipp hipp hooray! x3

Small thing. Do not even mention. Number of commits is not very
representative of one's contribution to a project and generally is not a
very reliable measure of a project's health.

I also do not see a _fundamental_ problem with only a few folks actively
hacking and committing code, provided there is a sufficient number of
people conducting more or less regular reviews of what gets committed.
As far as I know most of the JMeter commits also come form just one
committer, but the project is doing fine nonetheless, because there is a
healthy number of regular contributors and reviewers, which ensures the
negative feedback loop is in place. What I find very alarming is that we
do not have even a _single_ regular contributor to the project, who may
potentially aspire to become a committer. All my feeble attempts at
bringing people on board to help us maintain stable HttpClient 3.x code
base, thus enabling them to get gradually involved with HttpCompopnents,
failed miserably.

> But it also raises some concerns about the health of this
> project. I hope that we can deliver a fully functional release
> of HttpComponents eventually, and that more developers join
> after that.
> Until I see that happening, I will be in favor of changes that
> have a prospect of bringing more people on board. In particular
> Henri's suggestion of joining some developer mailing lists.
> I'm not sure how well we fit with Taglibs and Velocity, which
> is what he suggested, but I like the general idea of merging
> some subcommunities.

I am not sure that is going to help much. My only hope is that more
people will become interested once the first alpha of HttpClient 4.0
becomes available.

Oleg