Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2002/04/04 17:26:54 UTC

Very basic SAX question

Hello folks,

I know that Cocoon2 uses a pipeline of SAX events all the way through
the processing pipeline. Is this also true for the XSLT stage? Or does
the transformer have to wait until the stream is fully there and start
transforming only then?

I am asking, because in XPATH there are forward-referrals such as the
following-sibling axis. And when an element is referred to, that has not
yet arrived on the stream, what is the transformer to do?

Or did I misunderstand the SAX pipeline Cocoon2 uses and in fact at
every stage every component has to wait until the stream is complete?

Thanks for any pointers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Very basic SAX question

Posted by Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu>.
> I know that Cocoon2 uses a pipeline of SAX events all the way through
> the processing pipeline. Is this also true for the XSLT stage? Or does
> the transformer have to wait until the stream is fully there and start
> transforming only then?

AFAIK:
The XSLT Transformer uses by default Xalan, which has a feature called
Incremental processing.
This feature permits the transformer to begin tranforming without ALL the
elements,  and waits for elements needed

> I am asking, because in XPATH there are forward-referrals such as the
> following-sibling axis. And when an element is referred to, that has not
> yet arrived on the stream, what is the transformer to do?

to wait...and collect elements

> Or did I misunderstand the SAX pipeline Cocoon2 uses and in fact at
> every stage every component has to wait until the stream is complete?

see above

> Thanks for any pointers,

/Per-Olof Norén
Stockholm, Sweden