Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Tantius, Richard" <R....@binserv.de> on 2012/11/30 14:44:45 UTC

Edismax query parser and phrase queries

Hi,
we are using the edismax query parser and execute queries on specific fields by using the qf option. Like others, we are facing the problem we do not want explicit phrase queries to be performed on some of the qf fields and also require additional search fields for those kind of queries.
We tried to expand explicit phrases in a query by implementing some pre-processing logic, which did not seemed to be quite convenient.
So for example (lets assume qf="title text", we want phrase queries to be performed on the additional fields "titleAlt textAlt" ): q="ran away from home" Cat Dog -transformTo-> q=( titleAlt:"ran away from home" OR textAlt:"ran away from home" ) Cat Dog. Unfortunately this gets rather complicated if logic operators are involved within the query. Is there some kind of best practice, should we for example extend the query parser, or stick to our pre-processing approach?

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Tantius
Software Engineer

[cid:image001.jpg@01CDCF09.3DA17860]

Gotenstr. 7-9
53175 Bonn
Tel.:        +49 (0)228 / 4 22 86 - 38
Fax.:       +49 (0)228 / 4 22 86 - 538
E-Mail:   r.tantius@binserv.de<ma...@binserv.de>
Web:      www.binserv.de<http://www.binserv.de/>
               www.binforcepro.de<http://www.binforcepro.de/>

Geschäftsführer: Rüdiger Jakob
Amtsgericht: Siegburg HRB 6765
Hauptsitz der Gesellschaft.: Pfarrer-Wichert-Str. 35, 53639 Königswinter
Diese E-Mail einschließlich eventuell angehängter Dateien enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind und diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, dürfen Sie weder den Inhalt dieser E-Mail nutzen noch dürfen Sie die eventuell angehängten Dateien öffnen und auch nichts kopieren oder weitergeben/verbreiten. Bitte verständigen Sie den Absender und löschen Sie diese E-Mail und eventuell angehängte Dateien umgehend. Vielen Dank!

Re: AW: Edismax query parser and phrase queries

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
It _seems_ like just adding "phrase fields" (qf) to your edismax defaults
gets you close. It would have the problem of matching if the field were
longer... but it might be "close enough".

Otherwise, why not just add in fq clauses on your exact fields? Because one
problem you'll have is that you need to get the parameters past the parser
to the field, which will be...er...interesting.

And one note. Rather than String fields (which are case sensitive),
consider KeywordTokenizer and LowercaseFilter or some such.

But I'd _really_ prove that you can't get close enough with current
functionality before I went down the custom route. Often things like this
seem like a good idea but then don't improve results enough to be worth the
complexity.

Best
Erick

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.