Posted to community@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2006/04/28 22:54:13 UTC

End user code contributions to asf wikis

A user just posted an example -- with code -- to the Derby wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DatabaseManager

My first reaction is delight that a user has energy to do this.

My second reaction is to wonder about licensing issues. Jira upload has
the handy feature that it prompts the uploader to check a box that
grants license to the ASF. The wiki has nothing like that.

It'd be nice to encourage Derby users to share their application code,
but how have other ASF projects handled this?

thanks,

 -jean

Re: End user code contributions to asf wikis

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 4/28/06, Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 05:08:02PM -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > >the handy feature that it prompts the uploader to check a box that
> > >grants license to the ASF. The wiki has nothing like that.
> >
> > However, neither does Bugzilla. If the Jira upload box is legally
> > necessary, we have much bigger problems than the wiki example.
>
> I think section 5 of the ASL2 takes care of both. If that isn't the
> case, it'd be nice to find out :)

I'm not sure section 5 applies. It doesn't appear to be submitted for
inclusion in the work.

My concern would be that some other derby-user could come along and
grab this code and then, say, be sued by the employer of the person
that posted it for using their unlicensed, copyrighted code - however
unlikely that may be. (very)

But IANAL and maybe Henri's right. Maybe it's too little to worry
about and he did post it to a public forum.

andrew

Re: End user code contributions to asf wikis

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@apache.org>.
I'll move the discussion to legal-discuss@ just to make sure any bases
are covered that need to be (and nothing will come back to haunt the asf).

 -jean

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.