Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Widerberg Marcus <Ma...@tetrapak.com> on 2007/02/01 12:15:35 UTC

Logging stack trace

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to add a stack trace to each log event for a certain
appender layout?

I have an errorappender, and when it receives an event to log, I would
like it to log the whole stack trace as well.

This is for debug and test purposes.

/marcus

RE: Logging stack trace

Posted by "Graham, Corey J." <co...@wamu.net>.
Our implementation handled this by creating a custom ExceptionRenderer,
so all of the properties of the exception can be formatted correctly -
including inner exceptions.

The configuration calls out our custom Renderer:

<renderer
        renderingClass="MyApplication.log4net.ExceptionRenderer,
MyApplication.log4net "
        renderedClass="System.Exception, mscorlib" />

Here the implemented custom renderer is
MyApplication.log4net.ExceptionRenderer, and it implements
IObjectRenderer.  That leads to implementing RenderObject() where the
object is the exception instance.  In our implementation we loop through
the inner exceptions in reverse order.  We don't use the stack trace
property.

Then we implemented a custom layout, so when the LoggingEvent instance
is passed we can manage the exception string the way we want to, but
that's just icing on the cake.

Corey

RE: Logging stack trace

Posted by Widerberg Marcus <Ma...@tetrapak.com>.
Hello Wayne,

Thanks for your reply.

Is anyone aware of if there is an way to expose a stacktrace property so that I can add it to a layout? Either built-in or a suggestion for improvement?

/marcus

RE: Logging stack trace

RE: Logging stack trace

Posted by ha...@pnc.com.
Hi,Marcus.

The best way I found to handle it, if I understand your question correctly,
is to pass the entire exception object into the parameter, like so:

try {

  SomeOperation();

}catch(Exception e){

  log.Error(e);
}

Harry Douglass
Consumer Lending Application Development
X2-1035

             "Widerberg
             Marcus"
             <Marcus.Widerberg                                          To
             @tetrapak.com>            "Log4NET User"
                                       <lo...@logging.apache.org>
             02/01/2007 06:15                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Logging stack trace
             Please respond to
              "Log4NET User"
             <log4net-user@log
             ging.apache.org>

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to add a stack trace to each log event for a certain
appender layout?

I have an errorappender, and when it receives an event to log, I would
like it to log the whole stack trace as well.

This is for debug and test purposes.

/marcus

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error, please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the sender. This message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US Law. PNC�s postal address is 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. If you do not wish to receive any additional advertising or promotional messages from PNC at this e-mail address, click here to Unsubscribe. https://pnc.p.delivery.net/m/u/pnc/uni/p.asp By unsubscribing to this message, you will be unsubscribed from all advertising or promotional messages from PNC. Removing your e-mail address from this mailing list will not affect your subscription to alerts, e-newsletters or account servicing e-mails.