Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/06 10:07:47 UTC

Remove OS version detection from IgniteUtils?

Hello!

We have OS detection code in IgniteUtils which has a lot of outdated
Windows versions but no Windows 10 for example. There's also arch detection
but no ARM. The results aren't used much.

A ticket was raised about it:

However I think we should remove nost of these detections.

Let's remove Windows version detection (and consider any Windows version
well-tested platform)

We could also remove arch detection (and otner unused misc detections which
are not used).

Otherwise we could print some kind of message on non-x86 archs.

I think we should definitely also remove Netware.

WDYT?

We also have specific handling for Red Hat in

OsConfigurationSuggestions

Are they still relevant? Maybe we can remove those? Or output for any linux?

They seem to check page flush ratio, swappiness, NUMA etc.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Re: Remove OS version detection from IgniteUtils?

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think it make sense to remove Windows version detection, because Java 8+
will simply not even start on old Windows.

--
Alexey Kuznetsov