Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by ubiteck <su...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/05 10:10:15 UTC

PostgreSQL 9.1 [Error :current transaction is aborted]

I'm using *OpenJPA 2.1.1* with *Postgres 9.1*. My persistence.xml file
contains the following parameters :

	&lt;property name="openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings"
value="buildSchema(SchemaAction=add,ForeignKeys=true)" /&gt;
	&lt;property name="openjpa.ConnectionFactoryProperties"
value="PrettyPrint=true, PrettyPrintLineLength=200" /&gt;
	&lt;property name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary"
value="postgres(SearchStringEscape=\)"/&gt;

I got a ReportingSQLException when JPA tries to get the name of a sequence
to define the identity of my entity bean.

*Exception stack trace*

2012-06-04 23:09:24,038 WARN  [JDBC] Unable to determine which sequences are
owned by the database. OpenJPA will consider all sequences suffixed with
"_seq" as database managed.  This may result in improper creation or removal
of sequences with this suffix. The original PostgreSQL driver exception is
being logged for your reference.
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.ReportingSQLException: ERROR: current
transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
{prepstmnt 155836080
SELECT pg_get_serial_sequence(?, ?)
[params=?, ?]} [code=0, state=25P02]
at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.LoggingConnectionDecorator.wrap(LoggingConnectionDecorator.java:281)
at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.LoggingConnectionDecorator.wrap(LoggingConnectionDecorator.java:257)
at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.LoggingConnectionDecorator.access$1000(LoggingConnectionDecorator.java:72)
at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.LoggingConnectionDecorator$LoggingConnection$LoggingPreparedStatement.execute(LoggingConnectionDecorator.java:1295)
at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingPreparedStatement.execute(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:386)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.PostgresDictionary.queryOwnership(PostgresDictionary.java:467)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.PostgresDictionary.isOwnedSequence(PostgresDictionary.java:441)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.PostgresDictionary.isSystemSequence(PostgresDictionary.java:409)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaGenerator.generateSequences(SchemaGenerator.java:960)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaGenerator.generateSchema(SchemaGenerator.java:367)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaGenerator.generateSchemas(SchemaGenerator.java:300)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaTool.getDBSchemaGroup(SchemaTool.java:1163)
at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaTool.add(SchemaTool.java:363)
at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaTool.run(SchemaTool.java:340)
at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingTool.record(MappingTool.java:505)
at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingTool.record(MappingTool.java:456)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.kernel.JDBCBrokerFactory.synchronizeMappings(JDBCBrokerFactory.java:160)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.kernel.JDBCBrokerFactory.synchronizeMappings(JDBCBrokerFactory.java:164)
at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.kernel.JDBCBrokerFactory.newBrokerImpl(JDBCBrokerFactory.java:122)
at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.AbstractBrokerFactory.newBroker(AbstractBrokerFactory.java:210)
at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.DelegatingBrokerFactory.newBroker(DelegatingBrokerFactory.java:156)
at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:227)
at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:60)
at
org.apache.geronimo.persistence.CMPEntityManagerTxScoped.createEntityManager(CMPEntityManagerTxScoped.java:77)
at
org.apache.geronimo.persistence.CMPEntityManagerTxScoped.getEntityManager(CMPEntityManagerTxScoped.java:58)
at
org.apache.geronimo.persistence.CMPEntityManagerTxScoped.createNamedQuery(CMPEntityManagerTxScoped.java:419)

Thanks in advance

Re: Verified database matrix (was: PostgreSQL 9.1 [Error :current transaction is aborted])

Posted by ubiteck <su...@gmail.com>.
Kevin,
As recommended I created a JIRA  OPENJPA-2297
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2297>
I'm using PostgreSQL 8.4 with Geronimo 3.0, JDK 1.6 Sébastien

Re: Verified database matrix (was: PostgreSQL 9.1 [Error :current transaction is aborted])

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi sursini,
Excellent debug work!  I took a look at the code and you are right.  The
buildNames() method is using the underscore as the separator and causing
the issue.  Can you create a JIRA for this issue?  Thank you.

Just curious, what type of runtime environment are you using OpenJPA and
Postgres?  JSE?  App Server?  Which one?  Just a random survey...  :-)
Thanks!

Kevin

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fredrik,
Good to know that Postgres v9.0 and v9.1 are working for you.  The OpenJPA
documentation could very well be out of date.  But, we do rely on
volunteers to perform testing and verification of the various database
versions.  Especially with the open-source database variations.

Due to the recent questions regarding Postgres on the mailing lists, I did
reach out to the developer that used to "maintain" the Postgres
DBDictionary.  Unfortunately, he has some new responsibilities and will not
be able to perform the verification that he used to perform for Postgres.
So, we are looking for a new volunteer...

OpenJPA has a large suite of JUnits.  By default, the test bucket is run
with Derby, but it is easily configurable to run with other databases.  If
anybody has the bandwidth to run the JUnit bucket against newer versions of
Postgres and follow-up with any incompatibilities, it would be greatly
appreciated!  And, then maybe we can get the documentation up-to-date...
:-)

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by Fredrik Jonson <fr...@jonson.org>.

Re: PostgreSQL 9.1 [Error :current transaction is aborted]

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
And, what is the output when you use the printParameters attribute on the
ConnectionFactoryProperties property?

Kevin

Posted by ubiteck <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Right.  So, the use of the printParameters attribute would verify that the
invocation from within the JPA runtime matches what you are executing from
the command line...  And, if these two invocations are exactly the same,
but the command line works and the JPA runtime fails, then I would consider
the credentials used to connect to the database.  When you are running from
the command line, what credentials are used to connect to the database?
And, when you are defining your datasource for JPA, what credentials are in
use?  Another item to verify is whether you are connecting to the same
database...  I know it's a dumb question, but if this is working from the
command line, then we need to figure out what the difference is.

Good luck,
Kevin

Posted by ubiteck <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastien,
1)  What do you mean it runs without problems?  You still get the exception
right?  What I was interested in were the actual parameter values being
passed in on the "select pg_get_serial_sequence" invocation.  I thought it
might shed some light on why this call wasn't working for you.

2)  Thanks for trying the alternate buildSchema configuration.

3)  Hmmm...  Postgres 8.4 works, huh?  Postgres must have changed something
in the area of sequences that is affecting our runtime.  Thanks for the
debugging efforts.  This may require a change in the Postgres DBDictionary
to allow support for Postgres 9.1.  I also noticed this JIRA (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2196) which indicates some
other issue with Sequences and Postgres 9.1.

Kevin

Posted by ubiteck <su...@gmail.com>.
He Kevin,
Thanks for your quick reply.

1) I added the printParameters attribute in my ConnectionFactory property to

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
No easy answers, but a few things to check on...

o  I'm not an expert with Postgres, but it looks like OpenJPA has only been
tested with v8.4 [1].  I can't imagine that v9.1 introduced a problem in
this area, but it's something to be aware of.  Has this scenario worked in
the past on any previous versions of Postgres and/or OpenJPA?

o  There seems to be an issue with accessing the sequence as defined for
Postgres.  How are you defining the Sequence in your Entity and/or orm.xml?

o  Outputting the actual parameters to the SELECT pg_get_serial_sequence(?,
?) statement may be helpful since it will show the users and ids that are
being queried against.  You can turn on this option by adding
PrintParameters=True to the ConnectionFactoryProperties property.

o  For giggles, you could also remove the SchemaAction=add property.  By
default, the buildSchema will attempt to synchronize between the object
model and the database.  I'm not sure if the SchemaAction=add action is
causing the Postgres dictionary to take a slightly different path.  Worth a
shot anyway.

Good luck,
Kevin

[1]