Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Frost <ch...@frostnet.net> on 2008/07/04 21:34:05 UTC

Re: svn disk usage

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:43:29AM -0700, Kevin Grover wrote:
> > BTW#2: is there any way of saving space in the working copy,
> > eg. by kicking off seldomly used files in the back-copy ?
> > These files could be fetched on-demand (eg. on svn diff, etc).
> >
> > The point is: I normally check out the whole tree, including
> > all tags (for convenience), but almost never change eg. tags.
> >
> > A really cool thing would be having an svn filesystem, which
> > only presents what you're interested in (maybe the revisions
> > could also appear as subdirs, like in fossil) and really does
> > everything on-demand. It probably even would not need to have
> > double-copies of each file, since it directly sees the change
> > from the user.
> >

> A while back someone wrote a user space filesystem for Linux that does
> this.  It was written so that he could manage his photo collection in
> SVN and not have a double space penalty on the working copy.  I went
> looking for it and could not find it - I tried Google and the SVN
> Archives.
>
> It would manage all text-base versions using hard links until you
> tried to save a change to the original file, then it created a copy.
> Unfortunately, it's specific to Linux.

In case responding now will still be useful, the program's name is scord:
http://scord.sourceforge.net/

Note that scord only reduces the working copy overhead; it does not reduce
the disk space used by storing multiple svn branches.

--
Chris Frost  |  http://www.frostnet.net/chris/

Re: svn disk usage

Posted by Chris Frost <ch...@frostnet.net>.
On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 02:34:05PM -0700, Chris Frost wrote:
> > A while back someone wrote a user space filesystem for Linux that does
> > this.  It was written so that he could manage his photo collection in
> > SVN and not have a double space penalty on the working copy.  I went
> > looking for it and could not find it - I tried Google and the SVN
> > Archives.
> >
> > It would manage all text-base versions using hard links until you
> > tried to save a change to the original file, then it created a copy.
> > Unfortunately, it's specific to Linux.
>
> In case responding now will still be useful, the program's name is scord:
> http://scord.sourceforge.net/
>
> Note that scord only reduces the working copy overhead; it does not reduce
> the disk space used by storing multiple svn branches.

Oh yes, I meant to note that scord also runs on Mac OS X.
With no to some work it should also run on FreeBSD.

--
Chris Frost  |  http://www.frostnet.net/chris/