Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Bromberger <Ja...@jdv.com> on 2000/12/18 06:07:38 UTC

Disable directory indexes

Hello all,

I and a colleague have been looking through the list archives, trying to find out how to disable the welcome-file feature. I have edited /conf/web.xml and altered the welcome-file-list element to be (a) commented out and (b) contain a welcome-file name of a non-existant file, but cannot get it to stop servnig out index.jsp. I am trying to set this as a default for all contexts (which each context shuold be able to override in its own WEB-INF/web.xml.

I am connrecting to tomcat directly to test this: port 8100 using the HTTP connector (Sun Solaris 2.6, JDK 1.3.0, Tomcat 3.2.1).

Ta,

	James

--
  James Bromberger,
  Senior Web/Systems Administrator, JDV

JDV - e-Commerce and Outsourcing Solutions for Financial Services
http://www.jdv.com/

Any securities recommendation contained in this document is unsolicited general information only. Do not act on a recommendation without first consulting your investment advisor to determine whether the recommendation is appropriate for your investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs.
JDV  believes that any information or advice (including any securities recommendation) contained in this document is accurate when issued. However, JDV does not warrant its accuracy or reliability. JDV, its officers, agents and employees exclude all liability whatsoever, in negligence or otherwise, for any loss or damage relating to this document to the full extent permitted by law.

Re: Disable directory indexes

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
conf/web.xml is not used in Tomcat 3.2.x.

Try this in server.xml:

<!-- "default" handler - static files and dirs.  Set the
     "suppress" property to "true" to suppress directory listings
     when no welcome file is present.

     NOTE:  This setting applies to *all* web applications that
     are running in this instance of Tomcat.
-->
<RequestInterceptor
    className="org.apache.tomcat.request.StaticInterceptor"
    debug="0" suppress="true" />

Bojan

Posted by Tilo Thiele <Ti...@hamburg.de>.