Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2016/07/21 09:07:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] graduation

Hi,

I think the graduation discussion has been spread in different threads. So
I'd like to come back to the path.

From my point of view the project could be ready for graduation. The single
issue that could block that is the evolution of the community. Jacopo
offered to bring up this topic into general@incubator, to see what's the
feeling from the folks not so closely related to the podling. Do we still
want to approach it in this way?

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Aw: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by in...@gmx.de.
Hallo!
In our product (an E-Mail Marketing Solution). Freemaker is a very importent part in backend
form our Drag and Drop Newsletter Editor. So like Christoh I also have a strong interest
to support this project. Perhaps in documentation? Or development.

Ingo

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Great, thanks for the effort!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 10:30:01 AM, Christoph R�ger wrote:

> As our product uses freemarker almost everywhere, I also have a strong
> interest to support this project. I just had a case on SO where Daniel
> helped me out (regarding error messaging) which could be my first touch
> point. I first have to get familiar with all the formal topics but I will
> try.
> So, I'm in.

>> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Is it supposed to be a normal "Voting in a new PPMC member" votings as
>> > described on http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html (CC-ed to
>> > the IPMC and so on). I'm asking because all Mentors are already PPMC
>> > members right now, because that's the initial status of Mentors when a
>> > proddling starts. Should I add some explanation to the voting, like
>> > that we are voting about who should stay even after graduation, or is
>> > it the normal way of doing this?
>> >

>> Well, it should be actual a vote for committers.
>>
>> But maybe we can make it simpler: on the discussion, just comment something
>> like "two mentors already expressed their interest to continue involved
>> after graduation".
>>
>> So then get get the ball rolling... because in the end is all about
>> community health, as Jean-Frederic commented.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

>> --
>> Sergio Fern�ndez
>> Partner Technology Manager
>> Redlink GmbH
>> m: +43 6602747925
>> e: sergio.fernandez@redlink.co
>> w: http://redlink.co
>>

> --
> Christoph R�ger, Gesch�ftsf�hrer
> Synesty <https://synesty.com/> - Automatisierung, Schnittstellen, Datenfeeds
> Tel.: +49 3641/559649
>
> Xing: https://www.xing.com/profile/Christoph_Rueger2
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christoph-rueger/a/685/198

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
So looks like the users community is much bigger... now we have to
translate that into a development ;-)

Re: Aw: Re: Re: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
There's no FreeMarker 3. The minimal goal of FM 3 is to get rid of
historical mistakes that we can't fix now because of backward
compatibility constraints. This meant to lead to significant better
quality all over, and to a code base that's easier (and more fun) to
contribute to. I'm also thinking about more ambitious changes, such as
supporting smarter whitespace control (which means that we can't just
use plain Writer-s anymore, except at the final stage), or even more
radical changes, like making the language more static and hence more
tooling-friendly, or even things like using a MOP instead of
ObjectWrapping... but first things first, these are too far away to
speak about.

 Daniel Dekany

Aw: Re: Re: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Ingo Mahnke <in...@quvion.org>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Of course it is.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 3:26:59 PM, Ingo Mahnke wrote:

> Hallo and thank you.
> is this possible: I could out the freemaker 2.x source and try fix an easy bug.
>
> Ingo
>

>> Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Juli 2016 um 19:07 Uhr
>> Von: "Daniel Dekany" <dd...@freemail.hu>
>> An: "Ingo Mahnke" <in...@quvion.org>
>> Cc: dev@freemarker.incubator.apache.org
>> Betreff: Re: Aw: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation
>>
>> Just in case you have missed it, there's a few things where we are
>> looking for help: http://freemarker.org/contribute.html
>>
>> (There are also deeper things that aren't listed there, such as an
>> option for better null handling, or named/multiple nested contents.
>> I'm not even sure if I will attempt them in the 2.x branch, given the
>> even increasing pressure for starting a 3.x... otherwise I certainly
>> would.)
>>

>> Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 12:04:24 PM, Ingo Mahnke wrote:
>>
>> > Hallo!
>> > In our product (an E-Mail Marketing Solution). Freemaker is a very importent part in backend
>> > form our Drag and Drop Newsletter Editor. So like Christoh I also have a strong interest
>> > to support this project. Perhaps in documentation? Or development.
>> >
>> > Ingo

>> --
>> Thanks,
>>  Daniel Dekany

 Daniel Dekany

Aw: Re: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Ingo Mahnke <in...@quvion.org>.
Hallo and thank you.

Re: Aw: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Just in case you have missed it, there's a few things where we are
looking for help: http://freemarker.org/contribute.html

(There are also deeper things that aren't listed there, such as an
option for better null handling, or named/multiple nested contents.
I'm not even sure if I will attempt them in the 2.x branch, given the
even increasing pressure for starting a 3.x... otherwise I certainly
would.)

Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 12:04:24 PM, Ingo Mahnke wrote:

> Hallo!
> In our product (an E-Mail Marketing Solution). Freemaker is a very importent part in backend
> form our Drag and Drop Newsletter Editor. So like Christoh I also have a strong interest
> to support this project. Perhaps in documentation? Or development.
>
> Ingo
>
>> Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Juli 2016 um 10:30 Uhr
>> Von: "Christoph R�ger" <c....@synesty.com>
>> An: dev@freemarker.incubator.apache.org
>> Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation
>>
>> As our product uses freemarker almost everywhere, I also have a strong
>> interest to support this project. I just had a case on SO where Daniel
>> helped me out (regarding error messaging) which could be my first touch
>> point. I first have to get familiar with all the formal topics but I will
>> try.
>> So, I'm in.

>> > Well, it should be actual a vote for committers.
>> >
>> > But maybe we can make it simpler: on the discussion, just comment something
>> > like "two mentors already expressed their interest to continue involved
>> > after graduation".
>> >
>> > So then get get the ball rolling... because in the end is all about
>> > community health, as Jean-Frederic commented.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Sergio Fern�ndez
>> > Partner Technology Manager
>> > Redlink GmbH
>> > m: +43 6602747925
>> > e: sergio.fernandez@redlink.co
>> > w: http://redlink.co
>> >

>> --
>> Christoph R�ger, Gesch�ftsf�hrer
>> Synesty <https://synesty.com/> - Automatisierung, Schnittstellen, Datenfeeds
>> Tel.: +49 3641/559649
>>
>> Xing: https://www.xing.com/profile/Christoph_Rueger2
>> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christoph-rueger/a/685/198
>>
>> --
>> Synesty GmbH
>> Moritz-von-Rohr-Str. 1a
>> 07745 Jena
>> Tel.: +49 3641 559649
>> Fax.: +49 3641 5596499
>> Internet: http://synesty.com
>>
>> Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Christoph R�ger
>> Unternehmenssitz: Jena
>> Handelsregister B beim Amtsgericht: Jena
>> Handelsregister-Nummer: HRB 508766
>> Ust-IdNr.: DE287564982

 Daniel Dekany

Aw: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Ingo Mahnke <in...@quvion.org>.
Hallo!

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Christoph Rüger <c....@synesty.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
BTW, a thing why being stuck in the incubator is a problem is that we
have to include "-incubating" in the version, and I don't know how
many percentage of the users will use such a release. Many do imply
that it's some kind of beta release, so for them 2.3.23 is the last
release. (Certainly most won't read the disclaimer or the release
notes. On search.maven.org they see that 2.3.23 is the last without
funny suffix, and that's it.)

Friday, July 29, 2016, 4:50:10 PM, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> On 07/26/2016 07:32 PM, Daniel Dekany wrote:
>> Basically, if the Apache officers look at the project and see that I'm
>> the only one who lifts any substantial weight here, they certainly
>> won't let the project graduate. If the project can't graduate for very
>> long, it will be terminated (called "retirement"). Well, I guess as
>> far as the project produces releases, it can hand around in the
>> incubator for quite while, but not forever...
>

> Very long can be very long, I think until the project it active and the
> mentors are there it can go on... There is clutch since 2010, so no
> worries here.
>
> But the goal is to graduate, so yes everyone is welcome to help, let's grow!
>
> Cheers
>
> Jean-Frederic

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
This project is not in any danger of being “retired”.

Ralph

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
To answer this question, FreeMarker primarily has a single developer who does most everything when he can. The whole point of becoming a project at Apache was to try to change that.

Normally committers are only nominated and elected after they contribute for a while - see http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html <http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html>.  It really doesn’t matter much how you contribute. In a project I used to participate in we elected someone who participated by organizing all of our get-togethers.  Fixing documentation, translating to other languages, and fixing bugs are all valued ways to contribute.

Ralph

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Pete Helgren <pe...@valadd.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, July 25, 2016, 5:00:27 PM, Sergio Fern�ndez wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>
>> The project's interest is to graduate, so obviously, I would prefer it
>> to graduate (and probably most mentors too). But I don't want to get
>> into a graduation vote that is improbable to pass. So I would prefer
>> if we first try to figure out the feelings of others.
>>
>> Does any of you know a precedent of a project in similar state
>> passing?
>>

> Not that I'm aware...
>
> You have to know IPMC we're normally very picky about community growth.
> Therefore, although couple of mentors we already expressed our interest to
> continue supporting the project (Jacopo and myself), there is no formal
> trace of that. So before approaching the IPMC at general@incubator I'd try
> to sort-out first the formal addition of the new PPMC members (i.e., vote).

Is it supposed to be a normal "Voting in a new PPMC member" votings as
described on http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html (CC-ed to
the IPMC and so on). I'm asking because all Mentors are already PPMC
members right now, because that's the initial status of Mentors when a
proddling starts. Should I add some explanation to the voting, like
that we are voting about who should stay even after graduation, or is
it the normal way of doing this?

> After that I'd give it a try to the open discussion to see what's the
> general mood of the people...
>

>> --
>> Thanks,
>>  Daniel Dekany
>>

>> Thursday, July 21, 2016, 12:23:47 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you Sergio.
>> >
>> > I am wondering if we should first run a vote in this list to clearly
>> > express the desire of this community to graduate now (or wait).
>> > Then we could start the discussion in the general list.
>> > This is just an idea, if we prefer to ping the general list first, then
>> > great.
>> >
>> > Jacopo

>> So

>> single
>> the
>> still

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

I can't promise I'd be very active but I could help you (I lurk from start) if you need more committers before the graduation

Jacques

Le 25/07/2016 � 17:00, Sergio Fern�ndez a �crit :

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Graduation doesn’t necessarily mean anything, with regards to growth.

Ralph

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Both approaches are fine for me actually.
What do the others think?

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Sergio.