Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/04/01 00:05:47 UTC

Re: Release requirements?

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:25, Leo Simons wrote:
> There's nothing about JDKs. Should compile & run with version
> 1.3 and 1.4, perhaps?

1.2 is the default target for most things that I am using. The exception
being Phoenix which uses the jdk1.3 proxies and framework that can optionally
build a JDK1.4 Logger if JDK1.4 present.

Is there any other jdk dependencies ?

> Also, should follow that last legal stuff sent out over
> committers@apache.org :)

Which particular bit is that? The excalibur jars all place the LICENSE.txt in
META-INF/, phoenix no longer distributes non-Apache jars.

Some of the other jars that we are using and should not be or should add
license for by the end of the 90 day grace period;

Ones we just need to add licenses for;
jakarta-avalon/tools/lib/junit.jar (IBM Common license)
jakarta-avalon/tools/lib/junitperf.jar (BSD license)
jakarta-avalon/tools/lib/rhino.jar (Mozilla license)
jakarta-avalon/tools/lib/bsf.jar (IBM Common License)
jakarta-avalon-excalibur/all/lib/jdom.jar
jakarta-avalon-apps/db/lib/bsf.jar (IBM Common License)
jakarta-avalon-apps/db/lib/js.jar (Mozilla license)
jakarta-avalon-apps/hsql/lib/hsqldb.jar (???)
jakarta-avalon-apps/enterprise/orb/lib/openorb-1.3.0.jar
jakarta-avalon-apps/enterprise/orb/lib/openorb_tools-1.3.0.jar
jakarta-avalon-apps/enterprise/ots/lib/openorb_ots-1.3.0.jar
jakarta-avalon-apps/enterprise/time/lib/openorb_event-1.3.0.jar

Ones we need to remove;
jakarta-avalon/tools/ext/resolver.jar (in xml-commons now anyway)
jakarta-avalon/tools/ext/jimi.jar
jakarta-avalon-apps/enterprise/ots/lib/jdbc2_0-stdext.jar
jakarta-avalon-apps/enterprise/ots/lib/jjta_1.0.1.jar
jakarta-avalon-apps/enterprise/ots/lib/savepoint.jar

Ones we need to investigate;
jakarta-avalon-excalibur/all/lib/jaxen-full.jar
jakarta-avalon-excalibur/all/lib/saxpath.jar

> On a related note, how do we handle versioning and
> compatibilities (which could get very messy with all
> those jars lying around).

I plan to write a task that automagically generates a manifest that declares
dependencies on other jars via the standard "Optional Packages" mechanism
(previously known as "Extension" mechanism). Actually I have already written
it .. just needs time to dcecouple it from the project it was used in and add
it into ant ;)

> cheers, and happy easter,

back at yah

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Release requirements?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:35, Leo Simons wrote:
> > I plan to write a task that automagically generates a manifest
> > that declares
> > dependencies on other jars via the standard "Optional Packages" mechanism
> > (previously known as "Extension" mechanism). Actually I have
> > already written
> > it .. just needs time to dcecouple it from the project it was
> > used in and add
> > it into ant ;)
>
> well that's a happy surprise =)

It actually proved to be much harder too decouple from last project so will
take a while to extract out. But should be in next ant release in a month or
two.

--
Cheers,

Pete

RE: Release requirements?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:25, Leo Simons wrote:
> > There's nothing about JDKs. Should compile & run with version
> > 1.3 and 1.4, perhaps?
>
> 1.2 is the default target for most things that I am using. The exception
> being Phoenix which uses the jdk1.3 proxies and framework that
> can optionally
> build a JDK1.4 Logger if JDK1.4 present.
>
> Is there any other jdk dependencies ?

I can't really tell. All I ever use is 1.3 and it never chokes
on anythin' =) I'm just talking 'bout what should be 'requirments'.

> > Also, should follow that last legal stuff sent out over
> > committers@apache.org :)
>
> Which particular bit is that? The excalibur jars all place the
> LICENSE.txt in
> META-INF/, phoenix no longer distributes non-Apache jars.
<snip>
> Ones we need to investigate;
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/all/lib/jaxen-full.jar
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/all/lib/saxpath.jar

This bit, I guess. It is probably best to check stuff like this
before any new release, hence the comment.

> > On a related note, how do we handle versioning and
> > compatibilities (which could get very messy with all
> > those jars lying around).
>
> I plan to write a task that automagically generates a manifest
> that declares
> dependencies on other jars via the standard "Optional Packages" mechanism
> (previously known as "Extension" mechanism). Actually I have
> already written
> it .. just needs time to dcecouple it from the project it was
> used in and add
> it into ant ;)

well that's a happy surprise =)

grz,