Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru> on 2003/07/01 12:07:19 UTC

Re[4]: [JPackage-discuss] Re[2]: Logging packaging questions

Hi!

NM> A symlink points to whatever logging-commons-backend jar is installed
NM> (more complex than that but lets just say the symlink *will* exist and
NM> point to the jar with the highest priority)
AT>
AT> Would this symlink point to commons-logging-log4j.jar or to log4j.jar?

NM> If we do the full split we'd have
NM> - common-loggin main jar
NM> - common-loggin-glue symlink
NM> - common-loggin-backend symlink

NM> with common-loggin-glue & common-loggin-backend synchronized so if
NM> common-loggin-backend points to log4j common-loggin-glue points to the
NM> log4j glue in common-loggin

NM> One or two symlinks - that's peanuts.
NM> What we can not handle is one jar present in some cases (log4j) and not
NM> in others. We need the symlinks to always point to something - dangling
NM> symlinks make tomcat crash

Just hold on a minute, and if the user wanted to use Jdk14 logging
where would the common-loggin-backend point to?

-Anton

Re[6]: [JPackage-discuss] Re[2]: Logging packaging questions

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Nicolas!

AT> Just hold on a minute, and if the user wanted to use Jdk14 logging
AT> where would the common-loggin-backend point to?

NM> To the in-jvm jar that provides logging - that works for jdbc, jsse,
NM> jndi , etc.

Uggghhmmm... I thought it was the case with 1.3 -- al this was
added via additional jars. As for 1.4 all is in rt.jar, isn't it?

Then you would probably need some very simplistic (empty)
dummy.jar to wire your dangling links too, I think.

See my mail on the other thread, probably the clue to your
problem is there!

Good luck! :-)

-Anton

Re: Re[4]: [JPackage-discuss] Re[2]: Logging packaging questions

Posted by Nicolas Mailhot <Ni...@laposte.net>.
Le mar 01/07/2003 à 12:07, Anton Tagunov a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> NM> A symlink points to whatever logging-commons-backend jar is installed
> NM> (more complex than that but lets just say the symlink *will* exist and
> NM> point to the jar with the highest priority)
> AT>
> AT> Would this symlink point to commons-logging-log4j.jar or to log4j.jar?
>
> NM> If we do the full split we'd have
> NM> - common-loggin main jar
> NM> - common-loggin-glue symlink
> NM> - common-loggin-backend symlink
>
> NM> with common-loggin-glue & common-loggin-backend synchronized so if
> NM> common-loggin-backend points to log4j common-loggin-glue points to the
> NM> log4j glue in common-loggin
>
> NM> One or two symlinks - that's peanuts.
> NM> What we can not handle is one jar present in some cases (log4j) and not
> NM> in others. We need the symlinks to always point to something - dangling
> NM> symlinks make tomcat crash
>
> Just hold on a minute, and if the user wanted to use Jdk14 logging
> where would the common-loggin-backend point to?

To the in-jvm jar that provides logging - that works for jdbc, jsse,
jndi , etc.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot