Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/21 00:34:32 UTC

Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Hey folks.  I have the Liferay Portal plugin ready to make available
so others can start looking at it and provide feedback.  It actually
consists of two separate plugins --- the Liferay WAR and a Derby RAR.

I created the Liferay WAR by exporting it from the Geronimo version of
Liferay offered at liferay.com.  Then I made some adjustments to it so
it could deploy into Geronimo 1.1 and so it could work with Derby.
Jeff, IIUC you're already working with the Liferay devs on an EJB
version so maybe I can synch up with you instead of contributing
patches to Liferay separately?

The Derby RAR contains the usual connector deployment artifacts
(tranql and geronimo-ra.xml) and a prepopulated database that gets
copied into var/derby when the RAR is deployed (thanks BTW Matt for
the excellent tip on how to make this work!)   This plugin will be
automatically installed by the plugin's dependency system when you
install the Liferay plugin if there's not already a datasource named
"liferay-datasource" deployed in Geronimo.  This allows Geronimo users
to install a fully functional portal server running on Derby all in
one shot, or to manually prepare an enterprise database before
installing the Liferay plugin if they prefer.

Brian, thanks for all your support in this effort so far!  With your
permission I would like to make the  plugin available from a Geronimo
plugin repository (perhaps geronimoplugins.com) so the Geronimo
community can start taking a look at it.

thanks,
Paul

Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/20/06, Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org> wrote:

> Paul McMahan wrote:
>
> > Brian, thanks for all your support in this effort so far!  With your
> > permission I would like to make the  plugin available from a Geronimo
> > plugin repository (perhaps geronimoplugins.com) so the Geronimo
> > community can start taking a look at it.
>
> Paul, what about allowing Liferay to host it themselves since they have
> their own distribution location?  Would this not ultimately be the goal,
> where it acts like eclipse-plugins and one can paste in the URL to the host?

Yeah I agree that Liferay hosting the plugin themselves could be
preferable since it would allow them to ultimately have control over
the distribution of their IP.  My only hesitation with suggesting that
approach was that IIUC in order for a plugin to show up in the admin
console's list of available plugins it needs to be in a properly
arranged repository with the appropriate directory structure and
metadata files surrounding it.  I created an experimental plugin
repository for testing the Liferay plugin and it is straightforward
but not exactly trivial to setup and maintain.  Another reason I
suggested a centralized location like geronimoplugins.com is because
you currently cannot paste a URL to the host where plugins are offered
into the admin console -- you need to edit config.xml and then
Geronimo to add the host, or have it added to the master list of
repositories maintained at people.apache.org.  GERONIMO-2076 will
address that but not until version 1.1.2 at the earliest.

Paul

Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
This is awesome!

--jason

Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/20/06, Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org> wrote:

> Paul McMahan wrote:
> > Hey folks.  I have the Liferay Portal plugin ready to make available
> > so others can start looking at it and provide feedback.  It actually
> > consists of two separate plugins --- the Liferay WAR and a Derby RAR.
> >
> > I created the Liferay WAR by exporting it from the Geronimo version of
> > Liferay offered at liferay.com.  Then I made some adjustments to it so
> > it could deploy into Geronimo 1.1 and so it could work with Derby.
> > Jeff, IIUC you're already working with the Liferay devs on an EJB
> > version so maybe I can synch up with you instead of contributing
> > patches to Liferay separately?
>
> Absolutely...I handed off a geronimo-application.xml to them and they
> are making some changes on their side.  I would be happy to share the DD
> if you would like.

Great! please send me the DD when you get a chance.  I'll compare it
with mine and combine it with the other changes I'm sending to the
Liferay folks.  Those other changes include:

-  Changed the default context root from "/" to "/liferay" in order to
avoid collision with Geronimo's welcome app
-  Added Derby to Liferay's Hibernate dialects
-  Added support for Derby to the code that generates Liferay's schema
and database initialization SQL

thanks,
Paul

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Actually, also, your repository isn't quite right.  The
geronimo-plugins.xml should go in the root of the repository (which in
this case is http://mcmahanfamily.org/repository/ not
http://mcmahanfamily.org/repository/geronimo-1.1/).  So either you
should move all the files to repository/geronimo-1.1/ or you should
move the geronimo-plugins.xml to repository/ and give out the URL
without the geronimo-1.1 on the end.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Yeah, I'll be happy to put the plugin up.  Should I just get the one
at http://mcmahanfamily.org/repository/geronimo-1.1/ to put up there?

Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Nice work Paul!

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Cool!  I'll post it to the main plugin site tonight.

Thanks,
     Aaron

Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Paul McMahan wrote:
> -  Jeff is helping with a new version of Liferay that can be deployed
> into Geronimo as an EAR file and can reuse some jars in Geronimo's
> repository.  My understanding is that those changes will be rolled
> into the next version of Liferay (4.1.0?).  I'm also going to see if
> the changes I made for Derby can make that release as well and then
> roll up a new version of the plugins.

I got it working, but it has found some nasties with Geronimo.  First,
the EAR deployment seems to want 1.5G in the JAVA_OPTS for memory to run
on Linux and MacOSX machines.  It seems to run fine there with those
memory settings.  But Windows can't seem to allocate more than 1.498G to
the Java heap, so it doesn't work on that platform.

The issue is, it runs fine in 1G on all other appservers, except for G.
 This likely is a problem in OpenEJB and I will have to profile why the
need for so much memory. :(

Jeff

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Paul,

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Paul,

Re: Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 7/27/06, Brian Chan <bc...@liferay.com> wrote:
> Hey Aaron,
>
> We've only tested in Tomcat so far. Our next step is to get a bundle out for jetty as well.

OK.  If you're planning to release a Jetty bundle, that suggests that
we should name the current plugin liferay-portal-tomcat so it'll
"leave a place" for a future Jetty plugin.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.