Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/04/11 22:32:19 UTC

Training material is now on-line

Hi all,

Thanks to the magic of GitHub pages, the Tomcat training material that
was used for the recent training session is now available on-line here:

https://apache.github.io/tomcat-training/

The source code is here:

https://github.com/apache/tomcat-training

We plan to add more modules and courses over time. All contributions
large and small welcome.

Enjoy.

Mark

Re: Training material is now on-line

Posted by Ben K Dishman <be...@gmail.com>.
Yes me too.  Great job !

Ben.

Posted by Pa...@ext.ec.europa.eu.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Enjoyable and beautiful!

Posted by John Byrne <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 11 April 2018 at 23:32, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to the magic of GitHub pages, the Tomcat training material that
> was used for the recent training session is now available on-line here:
>
> https://apache.github.io/tomcat-training/
>
> The source code is here:
>
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat-training
>

> We plan to add more modules and courses over time. All contributions
> large and small welcome.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Mark

Mult-i-tel better by design.

http://www.multitel.co.uk

tel: 44(0)151 548 8122
fax: 44(0)709 210 1464
skype jcbyrne

Re: Training material is now on-line

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/04/18 14:02, Mark Thomas wrote:

> We should expand README.md to explain what you need to do to get from a
> git clone to running the material locally.

Done.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 23/04/18 14:15, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> Thanks Mark
>
> [lots of snippage]
>
> MT> https://apache.github.io/tomcat-training/
>
> cjb> Should "Client" actually be "Server" in Step 12: ChangeCipherSpec?
> cjb> Or did you already know about that?
>
> MT> It should and I didn't. I've just committed the fix. It should be
> MT> live in a few minutes. Thanks for spotting that and pointing it out.
>
> Sure, thanks for fixing it.  Also, is that the sort of modification a Tomcat newbie like me could perform?

If you are comfortable using git then absolutely. The modules are just
simple HTML files. The source is at:

Posted by Luis Rodríguez Fernández <uo...@gmail.com>.
Empty while, simple and beautiful!

Agree on that. I did not think about the examples exposure...

Thanks!

> On 23/04/18 14:42, Luis Rodríguez Fernández wrote:
> > Hello Mark,
> >
> > Thank you for sharing the materials!
> >
> > https://apache.github.io/tomcat-training/courses/
> tomcat-for-administrators.html#/132
> > Do you have such .jsp anywhere? Would it make sense to add it as part of
> > the /examples/jsp/ of tomcat distribution?
>
> Just add:
>
> <%
> long current = System.currentTimeMillis();
> while (System.currentTimeMillis() < current + 10000) {
> }
> %>
>
> to a JSP.
>
> I don't think we want anything like this in the examples. Too many folks
> expose the examples to the internet and adding a JSP liek the above
> would invite a DoS attack.
>
> Mark
>

> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Luis

> >:
> >
> >> Thanks Mark
> >>
> >> [lots of snippage]

> >> cjb> Should "Client" actually be "Server" in Step 12: ChangeCipherSpec?
> >> cjb> Or did you already know about that?

> >> Sure, thanks for fixing it.  Also, is that the sort of modification a
> >> Tomcat newbie like me could perform?
> >>
> >> cjb> Also, are the demonstrations (marked by the placeholders in the
> >> cjb> presentation) part of the recorded sessions from previous Tomcat
> >> cjb> conventions?

> >> Thanks Mark, good to know.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cris Berneburg
> >> CACI Lead Software Engineer

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

- Samuel Beckett

Re: Training material is now on-line

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luis Rodríguez Fernández <uo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mark,

Posted by "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cb...@caci.com>.
Thanks Mark

[lots of snippage]

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/04/18 19:44, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> Thanks Mark for making that available!  My questions below.

It depends on the module. For those that are heavily based on previous
talks, yes. For the new modules, no.

Posted by "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cb...@caci.com>.