Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Adam Heinz <AH...@exstream.com> on 2004/08/23 15:02:19 UTC

macintosh frameworks

I didn't see any installation instructions for Xerces 2.5.0, MacOS 10.2, so here's the process I used:

1. Imported project from XML.
2. Built "XercesLib Mach Framework Debug" target.
3. Copied XERCESROOT/lib/Xerces-c-cw8.framework to /Library/Frameworks/xercesc.framework.
4. ln -s XERCESROOT/include/xercesc xercesc.framework/Versions/2.5/Headers
5. ln -s xercesc.framework/Versions/2.5/Headers xercesc.framework/Headers
6. Renamed Xerces-c-cw8 binary to Xerces-c-cw8.debug

This directory structure keeps the #include <xercesc/foo/bar.hpp> working as expected.  After some wrangling with ANSI versus MSL (BSD?) headers, I've got a clean compile of my project that uses the Xerces framework, but I'm getting linking errors for pretty much every referenced Xerces class.  My googling for how to link a Macintosh framework has turned up naught.  I've got the core Carbon (and other) frameworks in my project and they're not having linking problems, so I wonder if I've messed up the build.  Any tips?

Something else that I should add is that the style with frameworks seems to be to have parallel binaries installed, and to allow the user to choose between them.  It looks like all of the MacOS 10.2 builds output to the same directory using the same binary name; to my discredit, I haven't found where you can modify this in the project settings.

Adam Heinz
Senior Software Developer
Exstream Software