Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> on 2012/05/22 20:06:02 UTC

[DOC] Re: Windows Install Issues (was RE: Linux install issues)

> @Kay,
>
> Yes, that installation-guide page is very out of date.
>
> Did you ever look at this page:<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Win-en-x86-Setup>.
Is this the seed for the ALv2 licensed install guide?

Re: [DOC] Re: Windows Install Issues (was RE: Linux install issues)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <
> dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> That page is provided as the result of a QA analysis that I did.
>>
>> What's important for reuse is the screen captures and some text that
>> indicates the related user actions.  This page itself was not intended as
>> an install guide.
>>
>> If it is adapted to the MediaWiki for use as an Install Guide, it would
>> be under whatever license automatically governs wiki contributions.
>>

> well...um...OK. I did a quick revision to the install guide again -- yeah
> Windows section REALLY outdated, and just kind of mentioned this page in
> passing, with a link to it. I see there's a LOT to it, but, I pointed the
> general user to the section 4., which I thought was pertinent and  pretty
> good.
>
> In terms of on-going maintenance of install materials, it's fine and dandy
> and easy to make wiki pages for these items and just link to them from the
> web based install guide page, as far as I'm concerned. This would be better
> for us is many ways as we could add links to other installation stuff
> volunteers have provided via either the project or ooo wiki.
>
> This being said, a more central "page" approach might be a bit more
> expected and "friendly" to users, who aren't used to going to 4 different
> areas to find information. This would be off putting.
> Maybe one of those things to bring up with the UX group.
>
> So, I'm 50-50 on either approach.
>

>> What am I missing?

on the other hand, if you believe Google Analytics -- no one is bothering
with the install instructions....geez! Maybe something to include in the
READMEs for the future.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.