Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Suneet Shah <su...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/15 17:41:36 UTC

Developing an Authentication Module

Hello,

I need to build modules that will handle authentication and authorization.  Our
requirements seem to be a little different then what is provided with the
apache web server. However, before I started down this path, I was hoping to
get some feedback on the approach, as I am new module development.

In our architecture, authentication and authorization is handled by a set of
web services.  I would need to have the apache module make calls to the
service. I was planning on using Axis 2 for this. Are there any issues with
thiat?

For Authentication:

I need to be able to look at request and see if it has a security token. If
it does, then I need to validate it through the service.

If it does not, then I need to redirect them to an authentication page.

I thought it would be easier to handle the authentication through our java
application (as we have the rest of the application) or should this part of
the module as well?

If a person successful authenticates, then the authentication app would
redirect the user to the originally requested url. This would flow through
the apache web service and mod-proxy to end up at the target location.

Does this approach seem reasonable ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Suneet

Re: Developing an Authentication Module

Posted by Suneet Shah <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your help with this. I will take a look at the modules that
you have referenced below.

In our case, Mod-proxy and complementary modules seem to make sense. We need
to hide the location of the real application and the proxy would help with
that.  Also the firewall rules in place only allow us to talk to the apache
web server. There is no access directly to the other apps.. Finally, we also
need to be able to inject headers into some applications to enable a form of
SSO.

We need the speed and security offered by running native in Apache, which is
the reason why we opted for an apache module based approach. It would have
been easier to go with a java based approach since we have a lot more
experience in that environment

Thanks again for your guidance
Suneet

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.