Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com> on 2016/10/03 01:09:27 UTC

Re: Problems building James/Cassandra backend

On 9/26/2016 12:59 AM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
> Le 24/09/2016 � 02:05, Marc Chamberlin a �crit :
>> On 9/23/2016 1:17 AM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
>>> Hi Marc,
>>>
>>> Thank you for reporting about that.
>>>
>>> I created an issue for that :
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-1827
>>>
>>> I tried to fix the documentation here :
>>> https://github.com/linagora/james-project/pull/415
>>>
>>> Could you check that my PR fixes your problem ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> Hi Matthiew,  Thanks for the update, I got further, at least I got
>> Maven to compile the Guice Cassandra project. But when I attempted to
>> deploy it, using your new fix, things didn't go well -
>>
>>> bigbang:/james/docker/james-project # docker run --name=cassandra
>>> cassandra:2.2.3
>>> Error response from daemon: 404 page not found
> I just tested that and it works, could you retry ?

Hi Matthiew and the rest of the James server-users list -

Sorry for my delay in replying, I got sidelined by TLS/SSL issues and
had to focus on that for awhile. Now back to Apache-James - Yes your PR
did get me further and I now have both cassandra and elasticsearch
running under Docker. I am attempting to wade through the configuration
setup now and have a couple of questions that I need help with. First
let me say that I am editing the .properties and .xml files under
dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/conf which is my best guess as to what
I need to be doing?

My first question relates to the cassandra.properties file. According to
the instructions at https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-cassandra.html

> *cassandra.ip*
>     Is the IP (or host) of the Cassandra used. (cluster is not yet
>     supported)

Am I suppose to assign the internal private or an external public IP
address for the host that Cassandra is running on? If external, does
this host have to be in a DMZ?   I don't know how this is going to be
used hence the reason I am asking...  The version of the
cassandra.properties file that I got when I cloned the GIT repository
had it pre-configured as  cassandra.ip = cassandra which I am sure must
be wrong but then again I have little experience with Docker so I could
be wrong...

My second question concerns setting up the SMTP server to use
Authentication. Again according to the instructions at
https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-smtp-lmtp.html it says -

> Configuring Apache James Server for Authentication SMTP is a
> multi-step process. It requires several adjustments of the
> smtpserver.xml. To enable SMTP AUTH, do the following:
>
>  1. As mentioned above, SMTP AUTH requires that Apache James Server be
>     able to distinguish between mail intended for local delivery and
>     mail intended for remote delivery. Apache James Server makes this
>     determination by matching the domain to which the mail was sent
>     against the <servernames> element of the Apache James Server
>     configuration block. Any local domains should be explicitly listed
>     as <servername> elements in this section.

My trouble is I cannot figure out where the <servernames> elements are
to be configured. I grepped through all the config files (basically
everything downloaded from the GIT repo) and cannot find any file
containing a section for defining servernames. (I did find a number of
references to it however...) So where is this servernames section hiding?

Thanks as always for helping guide me out of the woods... I am sure I
will have more questions but don't want to proceed any further until I
get the configuration done correctly.  Marc...

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky

Re: Problems building James/Cassandra backend

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
On 10/4/2016 2:59 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> On 10/4/2016 3:07 AM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
>>
>> Ok, let's talk about the easy solution now : on master, the
>> README.adoc contains everything you need to start a james server
>> using docker-compose.
>>
>> Here is an excerpt :
>>
>> First, you need to build the image:
>> $ docker-compose -f dockerfiles/run/docker-compose.yml build
>>
>> Then, you just have to start the services:
>> $ docker-compose -f dockerfiles/run/docker-compose.yml up
>>
>> It should just work, let us know if it's not the case.
>>
> UH well no...  Looks like something stepped on itself, probably an
> easy fix?
>
>> docker-compose -f dockerfiles/run/docker-compose.yml up
>> run_elasticsearch_1 is up-to-date
>> Starting run_cassandra_1
>> ERROR: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint
>> run_cassandra_1
>> (e788b9729497516191dca524a3848390468c8e0cccfb86aaebf548e9c3c75726):
>> Bind for 0.0.0.0:9042 failed: port is already allocated
>
> Marc...

Hi Matthiew, James server users -

Matthiew I fooled around a bit with docker-compose.yml and tried
changing the ports for cassandra to use a different port "9043:9042"
just to see if that would make a difference. (Mind you I DO NOT know
what I am doing, just experimenting....)  That change actually got
things to go further, cassandra seemed to start and even James got
started. But it did not complete and eventually I got another exception
- NoHostAvailableException and it clearly was complaining about port
9042. So obviously that was not the right answer either. :-D   I will
await your reply about the above mentioned error and stop fooling around
with this. Perhaps go hit the manuals as well...

    Marc...

Posted by Benoit Tellier <be...@minet.net>.
Hi Marc,

It is some issue with your docker installation. Check it and follow
Docker guides.

Regards,

Benoit Tellier

Le 03/11/2016 � 02:09, Marc Chamberlin a �crit :

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.
Hi Marc,

Le 03/11/2016 � 02:09, Marc Chamberlin a �crit :
> On 10/24/2016 1:15 AM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
>> Hi Marc,
>>

>> On 10/23/2016 03:19 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>>
>> [... problem with James docker-compose]
>>
>>> Hi - I haven't heard back from Matthieu about this problem, if he
>>> still around? If not, does anyone got an idea on how to solve this
>>> issue?
>>
>> I am still around (:
>>
>> We updated the docker documentation last week, now it should be as
>> simple as :
>>
>> $ wget
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/james-project/master/dockerfiles/run/docker-compose.yml
>>
>> $ docker-compose up
>>

>> Let us know if it works.
>>
>> You will be able to play with the configuration by mounting a conf
>> directory into James container. But let's start with the simplest use
>> case.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
> Hi again Matthieu -  No, it doesn't seem to work...   I tried a few
> times from scratch, once I got a rather long exception/walkback but
> didn't capture it.. twice
> I got the following message -   :-(

> [... docker error ...]
It's an unusual error, we never got that kind of problem.

Could you tell use what OS you use, the kernel version, the docker
version and the docker storage driver ?

Maybe you would receive more help from the docker community for this
very specific docker error.

Matthieu Baechler

Re: Problems building James/Cassandra backend

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.
Hi Marc,

Posted by Benoit Tellier <be...@minet.net>.
From the error message it looks like port 9042 is already allocated on
your computer. Do you have a cassandra running on it ? Have you tried
removing the binding of port 9042 in the doecker-compose ?

(We bind port 9042 for querying more easily elasticsearch to know what's
happening when we deploy James)

Regards,

Benoit

Le 23/10/2016 � 03:19, Marc Chamberlin a �crit :

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.

On 10/04/2016 03:20 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> On 10/3/2016 12:13 PM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
>> Le 03/10/2016 � 20:57, Marc Chamberlin a �crit :
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I had to modify the command to start the James server slightly to
>>> point the jar file to what I believe is the correct location. Please
>>> verify that my command I issued is correct. That resulted in what
>>> appears to be 6 repetitions of an error that seems to center around
>>> "cassandra.port" Because these walkbacks are so long I will only
>>> show the first one. Got any ideas on what I have done wrong? Marc.....

>> The error is really not helpful but it looks like you you should
>> define working.directory to dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/ or
>> even $PWD/dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/ (removing trailing conf
>> name and maybe providing a absolute path).
>
> Maybe I am making progress, I removed the trailing conf and modified
> the command to start the server as shown -
>
>> java -Dworking.directory=$PWD/dockerfiles/run/guice/destination -jar
>> server/container/guice/cassandra-guice/target/james-server-cassandra-guice-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>

> That seems to make it happy, but then I tried to add my domain using
> the following command and got a connection refused error -
>
>> java -jar
>> server/container/cli/target/james-server-cli-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> -h 127.0.0.1 -p 9999  adddomain mydomain.com
>> Error connecting to remote JMX agent : Failed to retrieve RMIServer
>> stub: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is
>> java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 127.0.0.1;
>> nested exception is:
>>         java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]

I just tried by following the documentation, there's a lot more steps
than what is described, this piece of documentation got outdated pretty
fast, but I guess you managed to pass them. It works here, so could you
do a `netstat -napt` to see if James is really listening ?

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
On 10/3/2016 12:13 PM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
> Le 03/10/2016 � 20:57, Marc Chamberlin a �crit :
>
> [...]
>>
>> I had to modify the command to start the James server slightly to
>> point the jar file to what I believe is the correct location. Please
>> verify that my command I issued is correct. That resulted in what
>> appears to be 6 repetitions of an error that seems to center around
>> "cassandra.port" Because these walkbacks are so long I will only show
>> the first one. Got any ideas on what I have done wrong? Marc.....
>>
>>> bigbang:/james/docker/james-project # java
>>> -Dworking.directory=dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/conf -jar
>>> server/container/guice/cassandra-guice/target/james-server-cassandra-guice-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>>
> The error is really not helpful but it looks like you you should
> define working.directory to dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/ or even
> $PWD/dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/ (removing trailing conf name
> and maybe providing a absolute path).

Maybe I am making progress, I removed the trailing conf and modified the
command to start the server as shown -

> java -Dworking.directory=$PWD/dockerfiles/run/guice/destination -jar
> server/container/guice/cassandra-guice/target/james-server-cassandra-guice-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT.jar

That seems to make it happy, but then I tried to add my domain using the
following command and got a connection refused error -

> java -jar
> server/container/cli/target/james-server-cli-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT.jar
> -h 127.0.0.1 -p 9999  adddomain mydomain.com
> Error connecting to remote JMX agent : Failed to retrieve RMIServer
> stub: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is
> java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 127.0.0.1;
> nested exception is:
>         java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]

> Out of curiosity, why don't you run the docker image of James ?

Uh Because I don't know how???  I am basically following the
instructions on the website at
https://james.apache.org/server/3/quick-start-cassandra.html
I have gotten to Step 5.  Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

    Marc....

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
On 10/3/2016 1:02 AM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:

>> My first question relates to the cassandra.properties file. According
>> to the instructions at
>> https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-cassandra.html
>>
>>> *cassandra.ip*
>>>     Is the IP (or host) of the Cassandra used. (cluster is not yet
>>>     supported)
>>>
>> Am I suppose to assign the internal private or an external public IP
>> address for the host that Cassandra is running on? If external, does
>> this host have to be in a DMZ?   I don't know how this is going to be
>> used hence the reason I am asking...  The version of the
>> cassandra.properties file that I got when I cloned the GIT repository
>> had it pre-configured as  cassandra.ip = cassandra which I am sure
>> must be wrong but then again I have little experience with Docker so
>> I could be wrong...
> So the documentation uses --link docker option, it creates to right
> alias into james container so that cassandra resolves to cassandra IP.
> The cool thing about that is : cassandra port is not routed outside
> docker private network so you don't have to care too much about
> cassandra security.

Thanks once again for your help Matthieu. I made an attempt to go ahead
and start the James server using my best guesses on how the
configuration files should be set up. Unfortunately I hit another snag,
see below. I can send you the contents of my configuration files if you
need to see them. For the cassandra.properties I set the cassandra.ip
back to cassandra.ip = cassandra as it was originally configured.  (When
I got the stack exception/walkback that you see below I also tried, just
for grins, a few other guesses but nothing I tried worked so decided to
leave it alone and get help.)

>> My second question concerns setting up the SMTP server to use
>> Authentication. Again according to the instructions at
>> https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-smtp-lmtp.html it says -

... (stuff deleted from my previous emails)

> Depending on your domain backend, you can define statically the
> domains into domainlist.xml (I guess servernames got replaced by
> domainnames) or dynamically by calling administration API.
>
> With cassandra, we rather use dynamic config, so take a look at "how
> to call james-cli" in the documentation, there's an API like
> "adddomain" in it.

OK. I will punt on this for now and try to configure the domain names
dynamically when I get the server up and running....

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.
Le 03/10/2016 � 03:09, Marc Chamberlin a �crit :

[...]
> Hi Matthiew and the rest of the James server-users list -
>
> Sorry for my delay in replying, I got sidelined by TLS/SSL issues and
> had to focus on that for awhile. Now back to Apache-James - Yes your
> PR did get me further and I now have both cassandra and elasticsearch
> running under Docker. I am attempting to wade through the
> configuration setup now and have a couple of questions that I need
> help with. First let me say that I am editing the .properties and .xml
> files under dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/conf which is my best
> guess as to what I need to be doing?

Good guess

> My first question relates to the cassandra.properties file. According
> to the instructions at
> https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-cassandra.html
>
>> *cassandra.ip*
>>     Is the IP (or host) of the Cassandra used. (cluster is not yet
>>     supported)
>>
> Am I suppose to assign the internal private or an external public IP
> address for the host that Cassandra is running on? If external, does
> this host have to be in a DMZ?   I don't know how this is going to be
> used hence the reason I am asking...  The version of the
> cassandra.properties file that I got when I cloned the GIT repository
> had it pre-configured as  cassandra.ip = cassandra which I am sure
> must be wrong but then again I have little experience with Docker so I
> could be wrong...
So the documentation uses --link docker option, it creates to right
alias into james container so that cassandra resolves to cassandra IP.
The cool thing about that is : cassandra port is not routed outside
docker private network so you don't have to care too much about
cassandra security.

> My second question concerns setting up the SMTP server to use
> Authentication. Again according to the instructions at
> https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-smtp-lmtp.html it says -
>
>> Configuring Apache James Server for Authentication SMTP is a
>> multi-step process. It requires several adjustments of the
>> smtpserver.xml. To enable SMTP AUTH, do the following:
>>
>>  1. As mentioned above, SMTP AUTH requires that Apache James Server be
>>     able to distinguish between mail intended for local delivery and
>>     mail intended for remote delivery. Apache James Server makes this
>>     determination by matching the domain to which the mail was sent
>>     against the <servernames> element of the Apache James Server
>>     configuration block. Any local domains should be explicitly listed
>>     as <servername> elements in this section.
>>
> My trouble is I cannot figure out where the <servernames> elements are
> to be configured. I grepped through all the config files (basically
> everything downloaded from the GIT repo) and cannot find any file
> containing a section for defining servernames. (I did find a number of
> references to it however...) So where is this servernames section hiding?
Depending on your domain backend, you can define statically the domains
into domainlist.xml (I guess servernames got replaced by domainnames) or
dynamically by calling administration API.

With cassandra, we rather use dynamic config, so take a look at "how to
call james-cli" in the documentation, there's an API like "adddomain" in it.

> Thanks as always for helping guide me out of the woods... I am sure I
> will have more questions but don't want to proceed any further until I
> get the configuration done correctly.  Marc...
You're welcome.

--
Matthieu Baechler