Posted to dev@chukwa.apache.org by Eric Yang <ey...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2009/10/03 03:11:06 UTC

Cloudera Desktop

This is the Cloudera Desktop demo for the Web based management UI. It is
more into tasks oriented functions instead of system monitoring.

> http://www.cloudera.com/desktop

Cloudera Desktop has similar use cases that I envisioned for chukwa.  The
only difference is the UI model.  There are many element aren¹t scalable in
their model.  For example, the system monitoring are showing as grid of
green and red lights.  It probably won¹t scale beyond 200 nodes.  Chukwa has
visualization and summarization of the system state in heatmap.  Which
provides much more useful visualization for large scale cluster.  Something
to think about.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Cloudera Desktop

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Jiaqi,
Thanks for the questions. In the future, could you please use
http://tiny.cloudera.com/desktop-feedback for questions about the product?
Anyways, here are the answers:

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Jiaqi Tan <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Are there plans to open-source, or provide an API, to Cloudera Desktop?

The window manager and several other Javascript components are already open
source through MooTools More; see http://github.com/anutron/art, for
example. The Cloudera Desktop basic framework will not be open source. There
is a rough API right now that we're polishing up for some early alpha
testers. If you'd be interested in developing on Cloudera Desktop, drop a
line to desktop-api-subscribe@cloudera.com, and we'll be in touch some time
in the next few months.

> 2. Will the Job Designer plug into Oozie/does it already do that right now?

The version of Oozie available in the public domain does not work for us
after several weeks of tinkering. We have many customers running complex
workflows using similar tools already, and whatever solution we provide in
this domain we hope to make work with Oozie as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Cloudera Desktop

Posted by Jiaqi Tan <ta...@gmail.com>.