Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/26 16:00:51 UTC

[Rust] Possible blocking issue for 0.16 release

Apologies for showing up at the last minute but I'm now re-engaged in the
project after a bit of an absence and I noticed that we have some
dependency conflicts due to the parquet-format crate (not controlled by
Apache) using Thrift 0.12 whereas the parquet crate uses Thrift 0.13 and
they require different versions of the byteorder crate.

However, I have seen that not everyone is running into this issue, which
confuses me. Maybe this is related to cached dependencies and the fact that
we do not check in Cargo.lock (which we should not need to since this
project is a library rather than a binary).

See ARROW-7563 and ARROW-7507 for more context.

I have created a PR against the parquet-format crate and hopefully, we can
get a new version published.

We need to get this crate under ASF control IMHO. See ARROW-6256.

Andy.

Re: [Rust] Possible blocking issue for 0.16 release

Posted by Neville Dipale <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

I think `cargo update` is the correct approach to resolve this issue. Yes,
we've got quite a bit of backlog in Rust, but we should initiate the
process to adopt parquet-format with Chao and Ivan's approval post 0.16.

In the interim we could fix the thrift dependency issue upstream (as that
could be quicker). I'm hoping to make some time before 1.0.0 to update
parquet to the latest format.

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update Andy!

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com>.