Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kumar Bijayant <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/06 10:31:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Number of concurrent connections to apache

Hello All,

The below setting is configured in one of our apache  webserver

  ServerLimit          600
  StartServers         5
  MinSpareServers      5
  MaxSpareServers      15
  MaxClients           600

There are 2 virtual servers are hosted on this instance. So as per my
understanding this max connections at any point of time to this apache will
be 600 and this will be shared by both virtual webserver?

How could I know that how many current connections are open or how many
unique requests this apache instance is handling? I know through
server-status we can achieve this kind of info but sadly that option is not
enabled.

Is there any other way, like through some command if I can achieve this? I
googled for this answer but nothing specific I could find. So, thought to
check it here.

Thanks & Regards,
Bijayant Kumar.

Re: [users@httpd] Number of concurrent connections to apache

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Kumar Bijayant <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I used below command to get the number of established sessions on the
> server.
>
> netstat -an|grep x.x.x.x:80|grep ESTABLISHED
>
> To my surprise, it gave me total number as 728. 128 connections more what
> I have set up in my Apache. In apache I have set up max clients as 600. I
> want to know what is this extra 128 connections? How it is possible when
> Apache is configured to spawn only 600 child?

a connection can be ESTABLISHED but not yet serviced by httpd (the
connection will wait for a free httpd thread to process it)

if your connections are over loopback or a local interface, such as with
you running ab, you might be catching the same connection twice in the
netstat output

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/