Posted to npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> on 2013/11/08 03:03:52 UTC

Status of the project?

Hi all

My name is Raphael Bircher. I'm from the Incubator and doing shepherding
for this project this month. In my review i saw nearly no activity in
the last three months. There is also only one mentor who is inactive
since one year, (according dev ml).

The big question is: Is here still some willing and energy to develop
this project, or not.

You have not filled the bord report now, pleas do it. I will do my
shepherd report anyway, and bring the topic to the incubator list.

Greetings
Raphael

Re: Status of the project?

Posted by Lars Corneliussen <me...@lcorneliussen.de>.
I like coding. But i hate mailing lists. :-)

Re: Status of the project?

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 13.11.13 08:00, schrieb Brett Porter:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> Thanks for checking in. You were right in another message, I was on holidays.
It was not me who find out, that you was in holidays, but welcome back
anyway.

> There are people here willing to develop on the project, but time comes and goes for each. When we first brought the project into Apache, there was interest from several others, including some Apache committers, but it waned - and though we get occasional patches from new people, we've had trouble getting them on as committers. I'm glad to see the interest sparked by your message, which I'll respond to separately.
Thanks for your point of view. And now we have to look forward here,
learn from the errors, and make it better in future.

> In terms of mentors, we've gradually lost them over time, and I was unsuccessful in recruiting new ones from general@.
I notice also, there is not much interest in NPanday at Incubator. Even
on my message was no answare exept from Marvin. I asked also for new
mentors, but no one react.
> We very much need an active mentor to keep us honest :) I hope you'll volunteer...
I'm not a IPMC Member, so I can't right now. But feel free to propose me
as Mentor on Incubator... Maybe the table turns. But I'm anyway a newbie
as mentor. In this situation I would realy like to see a more
experianced Mentor

> For the overall status:
>
> We need to ship 1.5.0. Unfortunately, while the Windows build slave was broken for a while some changes were made that broke compatibility. They are good changes, but the regressions need to be fixed to ship a release.
>
> Aside from that, the project is reasonably stable. There are additions here and there for new releases that come out, and some potential architectural changes to take advantage of recent developments in .NET and Maven and cruft to clear out, but otherwise it pretty much does what you need it to do. That can make it hard to attract new contributors.
I would accept this answar if we have no open issues at jira. It's realy
dangeros to believe that the project needs no more development. A
project who suffers build breakers for months is far away from perfect.
Even there are only this build breakers. I believe more, that exactly
this build breakers stop new contributors. At OpenOffice build breakers
are cleaned up verry soon, or we revert the change. Why people can't
first test it localy befor commit?

> One thing that could be improved is Mono support. While some things exist, the existing developers don't use it - so that's an area for new contributors to get involved.
>
> Another challenge I've found is that contributors tend to interact purely over JIRA or even reach out over Skype. It has been difficult to get more happening on this list as it should.
That's a problem, we have realy work on it. But I will open a separate
thread for it. You can have some talks behind the scane, but all
important thing has to go over the lists. You know this, I know this.
But learning the Apache Way is not always easy. At Apache OpenOffice
have had also hard times at the beginning.

> I'll put this in as a report for this month if it is not too late.
Too late for November, but you can prepare one for December ;-)
>   Thanks again for following up.
No problem, I'm happy to see activity here.

Greetings Raphael

Re: Status of the project?

Posted by Lars Corneliussen <me...@lcorneliussen.de>.
good idea to make send jira-comments to dev!
thats where I live - if so.

Re: Status of the project?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

AW: Status of the project?

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Brett,

Well I would strongly suggest to bring those discussions back here to the list, cause this is the usual way Apache Projects communicate ... in the Flex Project they always say: "If it's not on the list, it didn't happen.". This too would give other People more an Impression that this Project is not dead. Additionally you could Setup Jira to mirror stuff Happening in Jira to this list (We had this in the Flex Project, but switched that off as soon as Speed increased).

Chris

Re: Status of the project?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Raphael,