Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by ho...@farzad.net on 2011/05/24 21:08:41 UTC

Turning on Logging

 What is the properties.xml line to turn on logging say for connectors
 and db.  Is it the following?  Do you say value = true or enabled or on?

 <property name="org.apache.manifoldcf.db" value="true"/>
 <property name="org.apache.manifoldcf.connectors" value="true"/>

 Thanks,
 Farzad.

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Doesn't matter which you stop first.  You should not expect an empty
synch directory.

Karl

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
> Had a space at the end of the property value! ...connectors " arggh :)
> Another question, in a multi process setup, do you stop the webserver first
> or the agent process?  The reason I ask, I keep ending up with sub folders
> in the sync dir, should a clean termination result in an empty sync dir?
>
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 19:31:38 -0400, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Check to be sure your properties.xml file didn't get overwritten.  If
>> you rebuild that can happen.
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like the comment idea, my goal is leave a syntax sample somewhere.
>>>  Updated my source the logging.ini file is fine.
>>>
>>> I have a problem with logging, so I don't see any of my log messages at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> I imported org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.Logging and have the
>>> following lines in my constructor.  I see the System.out print, but not
>>> the
>>> log message.  Thoughts?
>>>
>>>                Logging.connectors.debug("DupFinderConnector Constructor
>>> Called");
>>>                System.out.println("DUP CONS CALLED");
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by ho...@farzad.net.

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Check to be sure your properties.xml file didn't get overwritten.  If
you rebuild that can happen.

Karl

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
> I like the comment idea, my goal is leave a syntax sample somewhere.
>  Updated my source the logging.ini file is fine.
>
> I have a problem with logging, so I don't see any of my log messages at all.
>
> I imported org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.Logging and have the
> following lines in my constructor.  I see the System.out print, but not the
> log message.  Thoughts?
>
>                Logging.connectors.debug("DupFinderConnector Constructor
> Called");
>                System.out.println("DUP CONS CALLED");
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 15:41:07 -0400, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The sample app logging.ini file was already updated; if you think it's
>> not right still please open a new ticket for it and attach your patch.
>>
>> Adding the loggers to the properties.xml file is fine by me; the
>> default value is already WARN.  Usually when this is done in other
>> projects people include the appropriate property statement but have it
>> commented out.  Feel free to come up with a separate ticket and patch
>> for that issue, though.
>>

>> Karl
>>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Got it working :) and the threads have ids! can remove my hack.  Thought,
>>> I think it would be nice if the sample app property.xml file had all the
>>> loggers on at warn level.  I also think we should modify the logging.ini
>>> file to contain, the main diff is file spanning and printing out the ids.
>>>  Want me to make a patch?
>>>
>>> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, MAIN
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.File=logs/manifoldcf.log
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxFileSize=10000KB
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxBackupIndex=10
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by ho...@farzad.net.

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
The sample app logging.ini file was already updated; if you think it's
not right still please open a new ticket for it and attach your patch.

Adding the loggers to the properties.xml file is fine by me; the
default value is already WARN.  Usually when this is done in other
projects people include the appropriate property statement but have it
commented out.  Feel free to come up with a separate ticket and patch
for that issue, though.

Karl

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
> Got it working :) and the threads have ids! can remove my hack.  Thought,
> I think it would be nice if the sample app property.xml file had all the
> loggers on at warn level.  I also think we should modify the logging.ini
> file to contain, the main diff is file spanning and printing out the ids.
>  Want me to make a patch?
>
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, MAIN
> log4j.appender.MAIN=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.MAIN.File=logs/manifoldcf.log
> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxFileSize=10000KB
> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxBackupIndex=10
> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
>

> On Tue, 24 May 2011 15:20:13 -0400, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The rootLogger in the .ini file may be set to DEBUG, but the
>> properties.xml loggers explicitly control each subsystem, so those win
>> (for subsystems).
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> So then not only I can control the logging from the logging.ini file, I
>>> can
>>> control it via the property.  Meaning, if the property is set to WARN,
>>> but
>>> the ini file says DEBUG for the appender, all I get is WARN?
>>>
>>> Here is what I have in my .ini file:
>>>
>>> #Two appenders defined, one for a file log (MAIN) and the other to
>>> standard
>>> out (STDOUT)
>>> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, MAIN, STDOUT
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.File=logs/manifoldcf.log
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxFileSize=10000KB
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxBackupIndex=10
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>>> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
>>>
>>> log4j.appender.STDOUT=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
>>> log4j.appender.STDOUT.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>>> log4j.appender.STDOUT.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by ho...@farzad.net.

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
The rootLogger in the .ini file may be set to DEBUG, but the
properties.xml loggers explicitly control each subsystem, so those win
(for subsystems).

Karl

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
> So then not only I can control the logging from the logging.ini file, I can
> control it via the property.  Meaning, if the property is set to WARN, but
> the ini file says DEBUG for the appender, all I get is WARN?
>
> Here is what I have in my .ini file:
>
> #Two appenders defined, one for a file log (MAIN) and the other to standard
> out (STDOUT)
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, MAIN, STDOUT
> log4j.appender.MAIN=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.MAIN.File=logs/manifoldcf.log
> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxFileSize=10000KB
> log4j.appender.MAIN.MaxBackupIndex=10
> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.MAIN.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
>
> log4j.appender.STDOUT=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
> log4j.appender.STDOUT.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.STDOUT.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
>

> On Tue, 24 May 2011 15:10:16 -0400, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> <property name="org.apache.manifoldcf.db" value="DEBUG"/>
>>  <property name="org.apache.manifoldcf.connectors" value="DEBUG"/>
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM,  <ho...@farzad.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the properties.xml line to turn on logging say for connectors and
>>> db.  Is it the following?  Do you say value = true or enabled or on?
>>>
>>> <property name="org.apache.manifoldcf.db" value="true"/>
>>> <property name="org.apache.manifoldcf.connectors" value="true"/>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Farzad.

Re: Turning on Logging

Posted by ho...@farzad.net.