Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/09 18:14:40 UTC

font defaulted to any

Hi Everyone,

  we have some fonts(TimesNewRoman,CourierNew etc) that are not part of base-14 fonts supported by Adobe so when we run FOP 0.20.5 on windows 2000 server, it says "unknown font, so defaulted to any". we did not really need to use the same font so we ingnored it.

  we are now replacing the server with a new windows 2003, so I tried running FOP 0.20.5 on the new server, even here it gives the same message "unknown font, so defaulted to any" but in the resulting PDF, there is a difference in the font size compared to the one generated in 2000 server.

  we would like to know what does this font "any" means and where is it picking up the default font or "any" from?

  Thanks
  Pardha

---------------------------------
Never Miss an Email

Re: font defaulted to any

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Pardha Paruchuri a écrit :
> we dont really need those fonts so we did not embed them, also the PDF
> file was getting bigger when we embed.

Then don't specify TimesNewRoman or CourierNew in the FO file; specify
"serif" or "monospace" instead. That way you will get the default
base-14 fonts and the warning will disappear.

> Our only concern is that when it says defaulted to any, what does "any"
> mean and where is it picking the font from? we are OK with defaulting to
> "any" but after upgrading to Windows 2003, we see a difference in
> default font size it is using.

For PDF "any" is mapped to the serif base-14 font, that is Times. But as
the font isn't embedded into the PDF the result you get when viewing it
is dependent on the PDF viewer and the platform it runs on. Indeed the
viewer will pick any Times-like font it founds, which I guess is not the
same on Windows 2003 as on Windows 2000.

> I dont have permission to use 0.93 since it is not officially
> in production yet.

Well, 0.93 no longer has any beta flag...

HTH,
Vincent

Re: font defaulted to any

Posted by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com>.